Kast 3DP (LCD Based?)

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kast 3DP (LCD Based?)

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 am

Here's a interesting find.

I heard about the Kast 3d printer back in may.
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140514- ... arter.html

I havent heard anything since, there really hasnt been any updates or kickstarter campaigns..

I was looking at that article again and noticed a few things.

-First off they are claiming 12x faster speeds, I know my LCD printer can cure a layer quicker than DLP.
-They are calling their new technology retina casting which they are trying to patent.. retina? as in retina display?
-Then if you look closely at the rendered picture of the machine you can see a rectangular shape under the vat, LCD?
-And finally, after much searching I found a video. And if you look at time index 0:09 - 0:10 in this video you can clearly see a black rectangle that looks to me to be an LCD panel. You can even see the 3 bumps where the circuit board attaches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTUqrLZIkQ

I think they are using an Ipad panel (hence retina) and an LED array like mine, Hard to find any more details though. I wonder why they havent updated anything in months?

Anyone else know anything about this machine?

Barill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kast 3DP (LCD Based?)

Postby Barill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree with you Phife, I am almost certain that this is LCD based 3D printer.
In the video, I think we can see one of them soldering a LEDs array.

Phife, a a topic that deserves your attention :D
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1973

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Yeah, they were definatly soldering an LED array.. by hand.. lol

I cant imagine soldering the 320 leds my LED array uses by hand, actually it wouldnt be possible by hand because I use a Metal Core PCB which has an aluminum backing that acts as a heatsink, well it helps transfer the heat to my heatsink.

The smaller 10" panel only needs about 80 LED's so thats more manageable, but still, I wonder why they didnt go with a MCPCB?

I wrote them an email, I hope they reply with some info.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I got a reply to my email. They tell me that they are going to release their new LCD printer sometime in october on Kickstarter. It does indeed use a 9.7" Ipad3 lcd and LED array. They say up to 200w for that screen size. Im at 320w, with an LCD 4x the surface area.. but my LCD doesnt loose 2/3 of the light from the color filters.

One thing they did mention, and I quote "We've get the patent of any kind of LCD and any kind of UV source for sla usage two years ago, and patented the color panel system/dynamic LED system in the last year"

I cant see how they can patent "Any kind of LCD and Any kind of UV source for SLA use" Or how they were able to obtain patents on a any sort of LCD based printer since there is prior art dating back to 2009.

I guess only time will tell. They also sent me some pictures of their upcoming machine, it looks nice, but its just renderings so who knows.

In the mean time i will continue on with my 20" LCD printer, Ive also started on a smaller machine also based on the 9.7" lcd, I plan on having this one be a stand-alone printer with a full mini PC on board.

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:14 am

Ask them about he patent number ;)

I wonder if 96 SMD-Leds are capable of withstand 200w :o :D Maybe pulse-current

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:05 am

They talk specifically about UV light. I think most of us here are using near UV light. Curious if they are in fact using UV LEDs or not.
Even if they had a patent, maybe we'd be ok because of this.

Barill

Postby Barill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for the report Phife
I think it is simply impossible to get patent of everithing X everithing

I think it's just an attempt to discourage us, but they will not ;)

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:58 am

Some more information regarding this printer. 5 inches an hour is pretty impressive.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141002- ... arter.html

anthony.julu

Postby anthony.julu » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Pretty impressive indeed.
5" per hour is like unimaginable for our current DLP printers, some of us are probably already drooling for this product. (But at what Z resolution is this speed achieved?)
But for a jeweler, is 96microns XY be sufficient to produce smooth detailed model? If it does, then this is a great breakthrough.

As for DIYers, the question is, how much will it cost to build one? Any info on this, Phife?

oliveenchine

Postby oliveenchine » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Got a partial answer regarding costs of the parts ( I live in Shenzhen China..) :

- Ipad 3/4 9.7" display : 300 CNY = 49USD
- eDP to DP (displayport) pcb to drive the display bought from Abusemark Japan : 3500JPY = 31USD + shipping
- Stepper with leadscrew TR8x4 ,250mm length + nut : 300 CNY = 49 USD
- Linear Guide ( rails 2 pcs x 250mm) : 360CNY = 59USD
- Arduino Mega 2560 (chinese clone) = about 80 CNY = 13 USD
- Ramps 1.4 + stepper driver : 140 CNY = 22USD
- LED 3W (405-410nm), 45 or 50 pcs / tube, 450CNY = 73 USD

I don't have the other parts yet ..

Hope this can help to give you an idea. :idea: ;)