How to use FEP film the best way?

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Helmi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How to use FEP film the best way?

Postby Helmi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi guys,

it's getting serious about my printer. Linear guides for the z axis are on their way, the spindle (ball screw) is already here. Also the drawing for the case out of aluminum extrusion is nearly finished. The next thing "todo" is a nice VAT.

I try to keep it as simple as possible for the beginning so i would want to go without tilting. I have some FEP film samples from a german supplier laying around (30x30cm pieces) but i wonder what's the best way to mount this film on the bottom of the VAT.

What's suitable as a bottom plate? Do i have to use glass or can i go with acrylic glass, too? I'd rather go with acrylic glass as i'm able to drill it, cut it and put it on the cnc mill for more detailled crafting.

For the release from the bottom i think it would be the best if the FEP film expands a bit and lifts from the bottom so the release could happen from the side to the center, right? Therefor we should need to get air between the bottom plate and the fep film on z-lift. Anyone yet played around with the information that we found in the solidator patents? Any more information about that yet?

My basic plan would be to have a bottom plate, lay the FEP film on it flat and press everyting down with a frame that acts as the VAT frame to hold the resin. Would this be a good idea? This way the FEP film couldn't move but still isn't tensioned that much so it still can lift a bit. Also it should be rather easy to replace the film if it's used up.

How did you mount your FEP film or similar stuff so far?

Thanks,
Frank
Frank /

hp_

Re: How to use FEP film the best way?

Postby hp_ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Helmi,

the Miicraft puts the fep in a frame, and then push the frame down on a piece of glass..
hp

Helmi

Postby Helmi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks, just had a look at their video about how to change this frame. It indeed does look like they're using the same procedure as i have in mind. The FEP film doesn't look very tight tensioned so maybe this is the key for a smart release.
Frank /

erenaud

Postby erenaud » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Helmi,
would you mind sharing the name of the german company from which you got the teflon film?

For the mUVe printer, they use self-adhesive teflon film.

In regards to the solidator guys and how they do it, I have written a post with my interpretation of their patent over at the B9 Forums.
I believe they use a layer of liquid glycerin with the teflon film right on it - no air in between.
Since the Teflon FEP is semi-permeable, it would pull some glycerin through which then can float back when the freshly cured layer is lifted.
here is the link to the post:
http://b9creator.com/support/?minglefor ... c&t=1498.0

I think it doesn't matter much whether you use acrylic or glass, both have about 90% transmission of visible light.
If you want to use glass, I suggest to go with iron free glass such as Optiwhite for example.

We have built our own VAT made out of aluminum and a square piece of optiwhite glass, so that we can also do some tests with different non-stick coatings.
we are just starting...