Vat options for a newly built SLA printer?

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jbase
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vat options for a newly built SLA printer?

Postby jbase » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:22 am

Hello Everybody!

I am in the process of building my first SLA 3D printer. I am an already experienced diy person, I have a CNC router and two FDM 3D printers which I built myself from scratch. For base design I'll be using the LittleRP printer whose creater was VERY nice to share his DXF/STL files with us (huge respect, man!). The projector used will be a refurbished Acer P1283 for $300 from a local supplier. My idea is to build the printer 100% myself without spending any extra cash (except the projector of course). I have a bunch of Arduno boards and steppers and other 3D printer stuff sitting around, so I won't need anything else.

The only thing is not clear so far. The vat part. From what I read I understood that there are basically two options: PDMS coating (which is applied using a pipet?) that is a bit expensive and needs replacement after a few prints, and the FEP film option. I hear the FEP film does not need replacement, like you put it there (and stretch properly!) and you're set! Is it the case?

So, to not waste time (and money). Should I go the Petri dish/PDMS route? Or am I better off doing the FEP film thing?

Now, this one:

https://flexvat.com/products/littlerp-drumhead-flexvat

Is it basically the same design using FEP? It looks 3D printed. What type of glass is used? Is it borosilicate? I have a couple of standard FDM printer heatbed borosilicate glasses. Will they work?

Now, for the teardown:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1331/ ... 1466789497

Basically, a plastic (PLA) frame, a gasket and a FEP film, am I correct?

Maybe, there are some other more up-to-date options I am missing? Please, I need your opinion.

I will be sharing my design with you folks. Now I'm gonna drive and pick up the projector, when I'm back I'll be making some photos.

THANKS and it's nice being here!

HTL

Re: Vat options for a newly built SLA printer?

Postby HTL » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:38 pm

the flexvat.com vats are made of cast polyurethane the mid sized vats also have aluminum stiffeners. No glass is used in the vats, the vat floor is tensioned FEP film.

jbase

Re: Vat options for a newly built SLA printer?

Postby jbase » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks very much indeed for the info. Now the puzzle in my head is whole.
I found this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1244716

Gonna try printing it tomorrow, just need to get some PLA.
Wonder if (somehow?) mobile screen protection film would work as FEP film? I measured thickness, it's 0.1 mm.
Worth a try, it costs nothing. ;)