pressurized FEP vat

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
EdgE

pressurized FEP vat

Postby EdgE » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:20 pm

I got quite enthusiastic about the printing material.
I did understand from the post, that this material somehow allows even more air moving through the foil, then FEP does.

So what will happen when we pressurize a FEP vat?
This should allow more air going through the FEP I guess..
And will this be enough, (decreasing exposure times and) eliminate refilling the bottom by retracting the build platform?
So my question is, did someone already tried a double-sided-FEP-pressure vat?
(It's just to much work trying it, while someone else did it already.. ;) )

I also understand, while pressurizing FEP foil, it will create a 'dome', which is (very) bad for focussing distance and potential needs a different slicer algorithm. But before going into these tweaks, we should know if it works or not..

hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: pressurized FEP vat

Postby hp_ » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Edge,

Solidator is working this way... and has a patent on this using permeation to be-able to print large objects.
I'd love to try it out though..

Cheers,
hp

android78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby android78 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:39 pm

This is an interesting idea. If you were going to go to the trouble of creating a pressurized FEP cushion like that, you would probably want to fill it with pure oxygen. I wonder if, without adding pressure, if you were to just have pure oxygen (rather than air, which is 78% nitrogen) under the FEP would have much effect.
This is the other end of an idea I've had regarding post curing by using a jar that you fill with CO2 to prevent the oxygen inhibiting the curing. Probably no better than just using water though.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Research Chemist

android78

Postby android78 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks sgraber. Don't want to hijack this thread, but the reason for thinking CO2 is it's cheap and easy to come by (sodastream canisters). Similarly, the small amount of oxygen that you would need have between two FEP layers could be easily made from water via electrolysis with a small power supply.

EdgE

Postby EdgE » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi hp, maybe try something together?
I was not really planning using different gasses, but might still be an option.

I don't understand, why the Solidator (with a large buildplate) does have no issue's with a 'dome' effect..
But interesting anyway!

@android78, your are not hijacking at all! Nice to have some discussion going on.
Also similar idea's (& test results) are more then welcome.

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:03 am

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 am

Yes, I am sure of this. He was referring to post during the part after printing. :)
Research Chemist

Taher1360

Postby Taher1360 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 am

Hi Guys

I think Carbon3D use Teflon 2400 with high permeability of gas through it.Thy
As I found from Carbon3d papered published by Science, its not easy to calibrate this machine for all kinds of resin.the viscosity of resin can affect the speed of the printing and one more thing is that they never solidify the resin completely.They cure a gradient of inter-phase between liquide and solid sated in each image intersection exposure by light engine.
By the way is any have experience inhibiting curing of resin by pure oxygen?
Carbon3d use mathematical calculation to improve the results.

EdgE

Postby EdgE » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:19 am