Flexible glass

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Flexible glass

Postby Phife » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm

For me, Im looking for a replacement to FEP Film for a vat bottom. It really doesnt have that good anti-stick properties, PDMS is better but also much more fragile. FEP is more durable than PDMS but it can get easily scratched and damaged over time as well. Im expecting the glass to be much more durable and last probably the life of the printer. Its only 0.2mm thick and they have a 0.1mm one available soon.

Second, im looking for a more rigid sheet I can use for my flex vat, since I have such a large vat size the film sags a lot in the middle. Hoping the glass will remain flatter.

Last, The reason I want to try it was because, by accident, over a year ago I was test printing with a new vat and the FEP film became adhered to the LCD screen I use under the film. The entire LCD was then flexing like this glass would and peeling off the print. It was actually working quite nicely, but the print still failed and detached. Also, it would destroy the LCD over time. Im hoping this new glass will peel off nice and smoothly off the print and not pull then snap off like FEP can.

I found out that some suppliers will send you free samples. Im getting a 100x100mm piece of 0.2mm willow glass sent to me for testing for just the cost of shipping, sweet!

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Found the Data sheet, You'll have no problem with uv light transmission..
Attachments
5bac1c9b3d7442ad9d532586c9c54bff.pdf
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 813 times

dangre

Postby dangre » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Awesome, we look forward to your testing. Anxious to see how sticky it is without FEP or other non stick material. I think a simple silicone gasket would seal it. Good luck!
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:08 am

Yes, thanks for posting. Would love to see the test results if you can get a free sample first!

Matze

Postby Matze » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Any progress? :-)

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Still waiting for the sample to arrive.. The supplier was away for a week and just got back.. It'll probably be a few more weeks before I get it and have some results to show.

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Hey Guys,

Got a couple samples of the Willow Glass from Corning. Its really neat stuff, very flexible in all directions, but it seems that it has a flex direction according to the data sheet.

I got a sample pack that has 2-100x100mm squares and 4-20mmx100mm strips. I was testing with the strips and broke a few, so it can break and does shatter, but it takes a lot of flexing. Im going to do more testing but I think it should hold up better than FEP, especially in scratch durability. Its also more rigid than the FEP but peels nicely, will support the weight of the resin better for flexvats and doesnt require tension.

Only problem with it is that it needs a hydrophobic coating. Being glass, it must still have some surface imperfections as resin and water tend to "wet" and stick to the surface instead of bead up like it does on the FEP. Im looking into getting the glass precoated with some sort of nano coating. Im waiting to hear back from the suppliers. In the mean time I picked up some stuff from ebay that says its an optically clear hydrophobic nano coating for glass, I'll test with that but for the final versions I'd like to have the glass treated at the factory for long lasting results.

I'll let you guys know what I find, It has potential, but not in its raw form.

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks for the info. I'll be following closely and would be very interested in purchase if you get some good results.