FEP vat challenge

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
klambson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Round PVC vat disadvantages

Postby klambson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I forgot to mention one drawback to using the materials that I proposed. Because the PVC pipe isn't transparent, you can't readily judge progress or success until later in the print. If the tension ring was shorter, you'd get visibility earlier, but you could give up uniformity in the tension on the FEP.

Another point: you'll need more resin to fill the vat, but the unused portions of the vat that fall outside the imaging area serve as reservoirs. A good thing until you get really low. I've not bothered, but simple displacers could be dropped into place to push the resin to the middle.

Maybe some day I'll make this round vat out of heat-formed or cast clear acrylic?

sgraber

Re: FEP vat challenge

Postby sgraber » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Keep in mind that resin will eat PVC.
Research Chemist

klambson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby klambson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Well crikeys. That could be a deal killer, so I'll look into a treatment or alternative approach. Really, the gasketed/bolted rings could still be pvc, as they don't come into routine contact with PVC. The tension ring is exposed on one side and half of the bottom edge.

Any suggestions on surface coatings that would offer resistance against resin corrosion?

klambson

Postby klambson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 pm

New FEP in old, resin-coated PVC rings. No degeneration to PVC that I can tell; perhaps I'm just lucky?

zet-jaro

Postby zet-jaro » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm

Sorry to bring the subject from the dead :(

I just wanted to ask did somebody else participated in this challenge?

I have a couple ideas that I would like to try and I need some FEP :)

Cheers!
Tom

crane3d

Postby crane3d » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am

Absolute shit company. Sends me botched rolls of FEP and acts arrogant when I ask for a replacement and says they wont give me any because "they have shipped over 2000ft of it". Demands I pay to send back the roll and wont refund me shipping. Absolute shit film, absolute shit service.

Is business that tight you can't replace this trash you sent me?
We were told by them that they will no longer reply to our emails.
I suppose they think we want to scam them for $20.
We will be filing a chargeback shortly instead. Would avoid unless you want a possible headache due to the owners arrogance.

HTL

Postby HTL » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:15 pm

I have been a part of this community for a long time and I believe I have contributed. I have sold thousands of feet of FEP and at this point over 200 vat kits. The number of complaints I have had: 1, the one you see above. The number of returns of all kinds since I have been selling vats and FEP: 1 (they decided they did not need FEP for their purposes, I issued a full refund). I offered a full refund to the person who posted above upon return of the material. I did not want to send replacement material because the damage he sighted was very out of the ordinary for the type of packing I do and I felt it was best to issue a refund and move on. In a response to my email asking for the return of the material for a refund he informed me that if i didn't send him replacement material that he would, essentially, slander me online, I see he is a man of his word at least in this regard. The people here and in the 3d printing community know me, ask yourself, who do you believe.

I an going to issue this "gentleman" a refund, he can keep the FEP.

Now I am going back down stairs and finish installing the 350mm X 350mm heated bed on the "thing" which is what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted.

BTW he has posted this same complaint in at least 7 threads on this board, photos and all.

HTL

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

crane3d

Postby crane3d » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:43 pm

I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt, many times going out of my way to say that this was definitely a post office mistake. They refused to replace it and they refuse to sell me more and only want to refund after I pay to ship them back this trash roll. Very bad CS on their end. I gave them many chances to answer my questions in emails and they refused to answer anything. Maybe they need to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and make it right on their end. Unless it's to be assumed that I doused this in oil after a long shipping delay and ruin the material to get more?

crane3d

Postby crane3d » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47 pm

And yes, after you flat out refused to send me a return label or more material, you decided that you were too good to answer any more of my emails (to be honest you didn't answer any, you just demanded I send this roll back) So it's either I post here and try to get you active in helping me out or be ignored and have to file a chargeback. If you've only had one problem, me, then you sucked at handling it. If you want to hide behind your community and try to act like you handled this well, then I can only wish you the best.