liquid layer between glass and resin?

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
phildlight
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

liquid layer between glass and resin?

Postby phildlight » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm

I'm a complete newb as far as DIY SLA goes, but I'm either going to build or buy one soon. As I've been reading the discussions I understand the issues w/ the bottom up type DLP builds. For me though, the issue w/ resin level in a top down setup renders it inadequate IMHO. So while looking all over for teflon coatings for glass I thought about whether a thin (measurable) layer of liquid between the glass and resin would work. Something like mineral oil? Obviously, the vat would have to be steady and I assume there would be displacement issues? Just curious if anyone has experimented with a liquid (I guess it would have to be oil) layer as a way of peeling the build.

PomeroyB

Re: liquid layer between glass and resin?

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 pm

I haven't heard of any such thing... It'd be difficult, because you want the interface between the clear liquid and the resin to be completely binary -- no mixing of the two whatsoever.

phildlight

Postby phildlight » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:16 am

Agree on the mixing issue. As someone who's never messed with the resin before, I don't even know how it reacts with oils. I would think the issue might be with displacement when the build surface pushes the resin down whether it would push the oil out of the way and render it useless. So even if the resin and oil don't mix, that would probably be the killer. Just curious is all.

dangre

Postby dangre » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:38 am

I like the term binary. ;) We are talking about trying to get accurate, flat resolution down to microns and trying to get that with a sloshing mix of resin and oil doesn't seem a good solution. The raising and lowering of the build plate creates a turbulent flow to liquids.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP