Optically clear FEP or translucent?

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MrBaz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Optically clear FEP or translucent?

Postby MrBaz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Does anyone seem to think one would be better over the other? I can find optically clear FEP film, but I see there are some DLP printers using a more translucent PTFE film. I can see where the translucent film would actually produce a sharp image on the film itself, whereas the clear film will let the light pass right through?

Wouldn't the clear film offer less diffusion/light scattering?

EDIT: Linkage: http://www.durafilmshop.com/product-p/500a.htm

Excited4DLP

Re: Optically clear FEP or translucent?

Postby Excited4DLP » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Considering how thin FEP film used I would assume that there wouldn't be much light diffusion when using Optically Clear FEP film vs Translucent FEP film; whereas with Translucent FEP film because there is essentially extra added-in material to make the film translucent that would lead to less sharp/precise/accurate images. This is just what I'm thinking, by no means am I making a statement about the two different types of FEP film. Can anyone confirm which type of FEP film would be best to be used for DLP/SLA 3D printing application, Optically Clear or Translucent?

dangre

Postby dangre » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

Good questions. I am on a search for the best FEP (or similar) film and am finding that the manufactures of these films make them in different grades (translucent, clear, etc.) which, I am sure, greatly changes the UV transmission. My film from McMaster seems to not transmit UV as well as what others are using but they have no specifications on what FEP they sell. Please let us know what works best for you....
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Excited4DLP

Postby Excited4DLP » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

dangre

Postby dangre » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 pm

When i bought the FEP I did not know there where different types and their description does not designate which they sell (no adhesive):
-Color: Clear
-Temperature Range: Plain Back: -320° to 400° F, Adhesive Back: -100° to 400° F
-Tensile Strength: Poor
-Impact Strength: Not rated
-Width tolerance is ±1/16". Plain back is an excellent electrical insulator, can be used outdoors, and meets UL 94V0 for flame retardance.

P.S. I looks very clear so not what I would translucent.
Last edited by dangre on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Excited4DLP

Postby Excited4DLP » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:11 pm

dangre

Postby dangre » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 pm

MJ SubG+ Red. Same with SubG+ Black. I reset all the settings to factory on my projector. I did just get some new QSil and will try my old glass vat to make sure something else didn't go amiss. But for now I need to make parts and it is working great (just slow).
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP