Flex bottom VAT

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Flex bottom VAT

Postby Finhead » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 am

And a quick fallow up on this. I have roughly 30 prints on this piece of FEP and had to change out resin again today so thought I would snap a pic.
Here is what the cleaned out VAT bottom looks like after printing straight up multiple times on the same locations.
And the only issue I have come across so far is if you have a broke piece or floater that you missed and it gets caught under the build plate it will indent the FEP. Not a huge issue just have to be careful, I have a small (2mm) indent on the very far right side now not even sure I can print that far out anyway. :)

Glacian22
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Glacian22 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 am

Nice work! How do you tension the sheet of FEP?

hp_

Postby hp_ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26 am

the indents will happen also when you print with resin where there is to much pigment and you have to peel of the cured resin from the vat floor because the cured resin wouldn't adhere to the build plate.

i have a few indents in the build area part now.. and not issue with printing.
i wish i could anodize my aluplate :)

I am still using the folded design with 1 mirror for reflection.

to stretch the fep you just tighten the fep frame holder towards the bottom plate with a few screws.. like you can see on finheads design.

cool think about this.. if you mess up and it cause to fep film to stretch... (like i have done a few times..) you can just tighten the fep film and your of to go and print some more :)
i'm now using 6mm space for tighten the fep film.. i have 1 mm to spare :) so.. after i've used up all my tightning space.. its time to replace the fep film :)
cheers,
hp

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:04 am

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Ive got a similar vat, well on the 3rd one now. But suspended FEP tensioned.

I find that as the build progresses and the resin gets warm/hot from the chemical reaction of curing the FEP expands and the VAT bottom droops. This is probably more of a problem for me since im using such a large vat, the size of the FEP sheet that is suspended is 420x320mm (~16.5x12.5")

Im going to try to come up with some sort of spring tension system that will keep the film tight even if it expands.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:13 pm

dangre

Postby dangre » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Just built my version of a flex .005" FEP vat and having success with SubG+ red. Thanks to HP and Finhead!
What is the largest part you have used your vat on and do you use a peel move or straight up? Thinking about trying thicker FEP or PFA. My FEP from McMaster arrived slightly dented.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

IrgendwerAusIrgendwo

Postby IrgendwerAusIrgendwo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 am

I've created a VAT out of 6mm acryl and a 2mm acryl bottom which is removeable: plan to test a FEP film instead of my silicone -> hope int improves my prints.
On the picture there are still the protective films on the 2mm bottom.

Print area is 240 * 135 mm :twisted:
Attachments
vat acryl.jpg

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:21 am

I just wanted to chime in here and say you guys are great! Discussions like this are exactly why I started this forum - to encourage new designs, experimentation and innovation.
-PacManFan

hp_

Postby hp_ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm

i just wanted to share my next iteration of the flexvat that (i hope it will blow your mind..)

cheers,
hp
Attachments
flexvat.jpg