Help a New Guy with His Z-Axis? Unable to Get Any Motion.

Discussed here are the various tilt/ slide and Z-Axis mechanisms
Ruthalas

Help a New Guy with His Z-Axis? Unable to Get Any Motion.

Postby Ruthalas » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:21 am

Hello folks!

I am making my first forays into SLA/DLP printing, but I am hung up on what must be a simple issue. I can't get my Z-axis to move.

I am following this 'Chimera' $60 printer guide for the construction of a DLP 3D printer. I can't seem to get help from the author, so I am hoping someone here can set me straight.

I am using a DVD drive linear actuator for my z-axis, controlled by a knockoff arduino UNO, via an Easydriver v4.5 (pinout).

The schematic I am following is here. And I used an EAGLE board file provided in that guide to etch a small connector board to act as a shield for the arduino to connect the easydriver. As far as I can tell, it matches the schematic with the exception of a few optional additions for an LED, limit switches, and an external power source.

I soldered it all up and got a decent looking shield. I had to connect the grounds on the bottom, because I neglected to use a double plated board.

When I plug it in, the power light on the easydriver turns on, but I can't get the stepper motor to move at all. The guide I am following walked me through putting GRBL firmware on the arduino and using GRBLcontroller to control the x-axis, but I get no response. The software does connect to the UNO, and allows me to write data to it, as far as I can tell.

I have also opened Creation Workshop and set it to the appropriate COMM port and tried to use the control tab to get the stepper motor to turn, with no luck.

Troubleshooting I have tried:

• I have tested continuity between the ground pin on the shield to each of the appropriate sockets on the easy driver.
  • I have tested continuity between each of the data/power pins on the shield to the sockets on the easy driver
  • I have tested continuity between the output sockets on the easy driver and the output pins on the shield
  • I have added a 12V, 1A AC/DC adapter to power the UNO, to provide more current (that should provide more current to the easydriver, yeah?)
  • I have tried another stepper motor I had available, same result
  • I have tested the resistance of the coils in the stepper motor, at 10-12 ohm each.
  • I have confirmed that the baud rate is set correctly at 115200

What can I try for troubleshooting next? I am not sure how to proceed.

I am happy to use whatever firmware/sketch you suggest to test things out.
If there is anything else I can provide to make it easier for you to help me, please let me know!

Here is an album of images of the board.

(2016-11-19 13:00 Edited to correct troubleshooting list)
(2016-11-19 13:10 Edited to update troubleshooting list)
(2016-11-19 13:26 Edited to update troubleshooting list)
Last edited by Ruthalas on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tom-res

Re: Help a New Guy with His Z-Axis? Unable to Get Any Motion.

Postby tom-res » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 am

Is your baud rate set correctly?

download printrun and try to connect or in arduino IDE open the serial monitor (top right corner of the software). Go through the baud rates and figure out which one you have set.

Ruthalas

Postby Ruthalas » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Sorry for the delay in reply!

I am using 115200 as my baud rate, as recommended by the guide I am following.

In GRBL Control this lets me connect and change values:

And in the Arduino serial monitor, it connects and displays the firmware I am using:
Though I can't run any commands... (Probably because I am using non-standard firmware at the moment?)

So I believe the baud rate is set correctly.
What should I look at next?

Ruthalas

Postby Ruthalas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:53 am

I unsoldered the Easydriver board and wired it up separately and it worked.

I am unsure if it is the custom board, or the fact that I am now powering the Easydriver separately that fixed it. I shall do some tests!

Thanks for the help guys.