THK z-axis assembly

Discussed here are the various tilt/ slide and Z-Axis mechanisms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lverigic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

THK z-axis assembly

Postby lverigic » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:28 am

I decided to build my z-axis myself and ordered this THK linear slide http://www.technico.com/product/rsr7zmuu130lm/

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... N/$_35.JPG

I am having second thoughts about using only one, do you guys think it would suffice? Or should i order another one?
Thank you

jwlrymkr

Re: THK z-axis assembly

Postby jwlrymkr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:29 pm

THK linear guides are very good. On mills, typically two are used for stability. On printers, we don't have the load that mills do.
Are you worried about stability or wobble? At that price, I'd order two! Otherwise, go with some cheap Thompson guides. They will suffice for a printer.

mekada

Postby mekada » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am

Top-down machine - I think one rail will be enough. I am using only one openbeam rail on my WIP machine.

Bottom-up - I'm not sure, but if suction is high and the parts are offset from the rail (say on the extremeties of the build plate), the moment load could go over the limit of such a small rail...

lverigic

Postby lverigic » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Thx for responding guys, I thought I would be in trouble with that. The thk guide arrived and it seems it's in a bad condition anyways hence the price :? I'll have to rethink this, as my budget does not allow me to buy any more parts , I will have to rely on my flashforge's smooth rods and make a linear guide from them