Z-Axis with 10mm pitch

Discussed here are the various tilt/ slide and Z-Axis mechanisms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kilh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Z-Axis with 10mm pitch

Postby Kilh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:32 am

I'm currently trying to source the parts for my DLP build, but some topics, like the electronics are something I still have to dig in further. Anyways, a little question just to make sure I don't fail at basic logic:

I found a nice, solid Z-axis (345mm travel, 15mm diameter, a THK KR46), but the pitch is 10mm. With a 1.8°motor that'd be 0,05mm per step, but I could get lower than that with fitting stepper drivers (i.e. 1/4, 1/8, etc), right? Probably sounds like a dumb question to most of you, but I really wouldnt call myself an engineer, maybe a tinkerer at the best :D
Anything I missed in that "theory"?

Thanks!

edit: Alternatively I could also get one with 5mm pitch, but the leadscrew is only 6mm in diameter and i'm not sure if I trust such a flimsy thin thing...

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Z-Axis with 10mm pitch

Postby PacManFan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:43 am

I think the 10mm pitch should be fine. As you noted, you can still achieve 50 microns on the Z axis. Not too many people print finer than that. You can also increase the resolution by using a micro-stepping driver. Many RAMPS boards support up to 1/16 microstepping. What are you thinking of using for the electronics?
-Steve

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks, I guess I'll give it a shot then :)

As far as electronics go, that's still a blank page. I see a lot of people using RAMPS so that's definitely in the closer selection, but my plan so far is to use whatever is supported by CW, has microstepping and can be sourced in Germany without paying twice the regular price. My budget is still miles away from investing in a projector, so I'll probably build it very slowly piece by piece. I'd be grateful for any go-to recommendations for the board/drivers, but I'm sure the info is already here somewhere. Should definitely search for it before asking questions that have been asked a hundred times.
I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to build something that will take care of my prototypes when the Ultimaker hits it's limits (which is basically all the time as I've got better things to do than priming and sanding stuff :D )

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:18 pm

RAMPS it is then!
You just saved me several days of headaches :)

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Now that we're already at it (damn I shouldnt derail my own thread)...

Would I need anything more than a package with RAMPS 1.4, MEGA 2560 R3 and A4988 drivers? (plus endstops and power supply of course)
For now I'll try going with a flex bottom vat without any release mechanism

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:03 am

First part aquired. Well, it's almost the same weight as my Ultimaker2, but I guess I wont have to worry too much about any wiggling and wobbling :D

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 am

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 am

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Just a quick question:

I was planning on using a Nema 23 for this and when I measured the mounting holes I found that they're a bit wider apart than they should be for a 23. Just out of curiosity I tried to find the motor that would fit the holes and finally found out that it's one with over 4 NM. Of course I can make the Nema 23 fit, that's not the question, but would there be any sane reason to use a 4 NM stepper motor for a (normally sized) DLP? That's almost twice as much force as the regular aluminum couplings are supposed to survive.