Arduino Uno R3 + Arduino Motorshield Rev 3 + Grbl

You can discuss various control electronics here. RAMPs, Arduinos, Motor Controller boards & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EP1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Arduino Uno R3 + Arduino Motorshield Rev 3 + Grbl

Postby EP1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

Hi,
New here and thanks for an excellent resource.

We've decided on a dlp printer as a possible project in our makerspace and have a spare Arduino Uno and the official motorshield Rev 3 with a NEMA17 stepper. I was wondering if anyone has played around with this config for a z-axis control for a dlp type printer?

Grbl firmware assigns the pins D12 and 13 on the Uno to the spindle. Would it be as "simple" as editing the pin mapping in Grbl and compiling & flashing to the Uno to use the motorshield?

Or is there a more straight forward way using this type of config? We're hoping to use Creation Workshop as the eventual control software.

Any comments, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Arduino Uno R3 + Arduino Motorshield Rev 3 + Grbl

Postby PacManFan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm

EP1

Postby EP1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks, will keep the forums up to speed with the build and stumbling blocks.

JJE

Postby JJE » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey guys,

Pretty new here, building a big dlp printer, had no exp with electronics whatsoever and desided to go with same electronics config, arduino uno R3 + the official arduino motorshield. Now I'm starting to regret my decision on going for reliable electronics since there is so few info on this motor shield. I figured out how to change de grbl pin config and flash it to my uno but i can't manage to put the correct pin numbers it seems... Any update on the editing you did in the pin config?

JJE

Postby JJE » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

from what i've been reading online, this board isn't compatible with grbl, because its a dual full bridge and it doesnt use the usual step and direction inputs... this sucks...

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 am

Unfortunately I found this out after getting my hands on a motorshield. I've resulted in using EasyDriver boards instead, hopefully I can fit two onto a protoshield. The motorshield may be compatible with Marlin if you were keen to try it out.