How to wire a 3 phase stepper to ramps

You can discuss various control electronics here. RAMPs, Arduinos, Motor Controller boards & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kakapoopie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How to wire a 3 phase stepper to ramps

Postby kakapoopie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:09 am

Hi guys, this is my first post here. Seeing all the builds here got me inspired to make my own dlp top down printer :)

So far the two things I've got are this linear stage for Z axis:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131213801207?ss ... 1497.l2649

Here are the specs for the stepper motor, Japan Servo KT56JM4-552:
4.32V
1.8A
http://paroco.hihosting.hinet.net/DXFDA ... t56jm4.pdf

and a Ramps 1.4 with Arduino clone.

My question is, the motor that comes with the linear stage is 3 phase, nema 23 and has 3 wires. Will it work with ramps 1.4?

Thanks, Vaughan

cncbasher

Re: How to wire a 3 phase stepper to ramps

Postby cncbasher » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:24 am

no is the simple answer , not without firstly changing the stepper drivers , and then modifying marlin or whatever software your looking at using
there are 3 phase stepper driver chips available for example sanyo STK673-010 ,these use the same step/direction input so may be an option , depends if you want a ready solution of the shelf or prepared to
design and build your own . but either way the timing sequence etc will be different than the standard stepper motors, so a lot of work to change under the hood as it were , so take my advice dump the stepper motor and fit a standard stepper in it's place . a far cheaper option

Dave