plastic wrap vs fep!?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
greenail
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

plastic wrap vs fep!?

Postby greenail » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I am just starting with SLA printing and was doing a few expiriments with daylight resin. Perhaps this is a stupid question but I ran my simple exposure tests with plain old plastic wrap and the resin didn't stick at all. How long does plastic wrap last and what are the problems with it for a flex vat? I only ran 4 or 5 exposures so perhaps it fails and or clouds or it does not provide a firm enough/flat enough base?

sorry for the silly question.

Hendrick_2

Re: plastic wrap vs fep!?

Postby Hendrick_2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 am

Good to know about this information on plastic wraps vs fep. Last week, bought a van and want to design excellent for this. Hired best graphic designer in city and he truly helped me in in getting awesome wraps for my vehicle.

leitnin

Postby leitnin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 am

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there. Do more tests, try it out, and post your results.

Material, thickness, use case (top down, bottom up), tensioned like a drum-head, used over glass, etc.

The more information you can post, the easier it is for others to jump on board and test other aspects (which I can help with once I get some time to finish my new z-axis)

leitnin

Postby leitnin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 am

So, I just got finished rebuilding my not really working top down printer into a bottom up printer to utilize a flexvat rather than long wait times/wiper/reversed flexvat to manage layer height.

I did a very preliminary test print using an ikea container (Oval with blue lid) with a piece of acrylic for support and simple LDPE plastic wrap. I had no issues with part release, in fact the only issues I had were that the xyz dimensions weren't at all calibrated and there were some large scratches on the acrylic that manifested in the print.

I am planning to print an "incredivat" style vat on my FDM printer and will continue testing with plastic wrap. The material is very thin and more easily cut than FEP, and so far from what I've seen too easily stretched to really tension for use without support, but being so cheap andreadily available given the fact that it seems to be working very well I am encouraged.

Thickness is on the order of 0.02mm
It seems virtually all plastic wrap is LDPE so brand is likely not so important. I'm using the cheapest stuff out of the German supermarket.