What resins have you tried?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
258cj7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What resins have you tried?

Postby 258cj7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:59 pm

So far I have tried the Spot-a GP from spotamaterials.com and the MakerJuice SubG+ in black and orange from makerjuice.com

The first one I tried was the Spot-a GP. The Spot-a cures much faster (about 1/2 the time) but it was clear and I had to add my own pigments (cast'n craft). It was also more expensive and shipped from spain so the shipping cost was significant. I used this resin for my first test prints and was very pleased with the results. I pigmented it with a mix of Cast'n Craft black and white opaque pigments to get a greyish resin (similar to the Form1 resin). My cure time was 2.6 seconds for a 0.1mm layer (actualy 0.15 cure depth). I noticed the pigment didn't stay suspended very long. It wasn't a problem for my testing, the longest print was about 40 min. But I think it could be a problem for sessions of 2 or more hours without some way to agitate the resin.

Next up I tried The MakerJuice. It comes pre pigmented in a range of colors. It is significantly less expensive and ships from the US so the shipping was cheap and fast. The downside is that the SubG+ shrinks a bit more than the Spot-a (Hopefully Josh @ MakerJuice will keep refining his formua and release a new resin with even less shrinkage). I't's not a deal breaker but something to be aware of. The other thing I noticed is that the resin is somewhat translucent. That makes it dificult to see or photograph details without a coat of primer. I think I'll try adding a little more opaque pigment to tone down the flourescent tangerine color and cut the translucency.

sitzme

Re: What resins have you tried?

Postby sitzme » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 am

So far I have SubG and SubG+. SubG has about 9% shrinkage and I had trouble with it releasing from the build plate. Larger flat parts printed with either resin warped or cupped but is was worse with SubG. They do say that it is more suitable for small parts on the web site. There is not much odor with either. I have not done enough printing to provide much of a review except to say that they both will cure when projecting from 21" and that the cure time seems to be a linear function of the area. There are also a couple of new pigments with lower odor than the original ones of the same colors. I did notice that the pigment stayed suspended better in SubG+ also. http://www.makerjuice.com

I am interested in the amount of shrinkage with other resins also.

dlp_builder

Postby dlp_builder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi,

I ve just posted in another thread that the shrinkage for FunToDo resin is about 0.3%, which is very little in this field.
The funtodso resin is available in a lot of countires (look at http://www.funtodo.net) and the number of countries are growing.
Comming month we are expecting a distributor for Poland, Spain, Russia and India (perhaps some more ;) )

If you haven't seen your country in the list, and feel like becoming a distributor, contact me :!:

Danny

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:39 pm

I've tried all the Makerjuice varieties and even a new formula that's supposed to have the best non-shrinkage of all the Makerjuice formulations. I just made one object so far so I don't have anything to report just yet. I wanted to get the exposure set before I do any size tests. It's only about 50degf in my garage and the new resin is like syrup out there which really wreaks havoc on my tilt with the suction. Once the first 5 or so layers are done, I don't have to "assist" the tilt. Haha. More to come on that.

I also just got my first liter from Made Solid (I was a supporter when they were on Indigogo). I will be testing it this coming week.