How much ml is a drop of FTD pigment?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
minimaker

How much ml is a drop of FTD pigment?

Postby minimaker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Does anybody know how much ml a drop of pigment from a Fun to do drop bottle is? I'm trying to solve bleeding problems with my Fun to Do resin by adding pigment but I've no idea how much I'm adding.

Right now I'm experimenting with Castable and red pigment (perhaps I should switch to black?). With 5 drops of pigment on 25ml of resin I'm getting a good results for rings etc. but I still have bleeding if it's something more solid and flat like a capital letter. This becomes irregular instead of straight and flat. Anybody have a suggestion on how much pigment to use?
Let's see what we can do with a LittleRP.

jkao

Re: How much ml is a drop of FTD pigment?

Postby jkao » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:52 am

Drops are an inaccurate measurement since dropper size, temperature, etc... can all impact this.

I would recommend pigmenting between 0.5% and 2% by weight or volume (both pigment blends and resins are in the 1.1-1.2 density range, which is close enough to be the same between weight and volume at these levels) when using a highly concentrated pigment.

Most highly concentrated pigments are pastes which are dispensed by syringe and not dispensable via dropper.

What kind of pigment are you using?

JosephOsborn

Postby JosephOsborn » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:25 pm

For my FTD Deep Black, I had to add approximately 3.25-3.5% of black pigment to get good results on my highly-detailed prints.

For my last batch, I used 500 grams of resin and added approximately 1.75 ml of Makerjuice's thick black pigment using a syringe. It is really hard to measure the thick pigment accurately with a syringe, that's why I say "approximately." Measuring it by weight is really hard in very small amounts, too.

To me it makes more sense to mix a fairly sizable batch of pigmented resin so that all my exposure parameters are consistent. It would be nice to get darkly-pigmented resin straight from FTD, but I realize they have to formulate their products to work with a wide variety of machines and different printing applications. What works for one machine at one layer height might be totally useless for another machine.

minimaker

Postby minimaker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I now have a better idea as to how much to add.

As to the drops, I should have clarified. I know it's not an exact measurement but I was hoping anybody had a ballpark value as at this moment I have no idea how much I'm adding. I've got jeweller's scales on order so with that I should have a way to measure it.

I'm using the pigment of Fun to do themselves. The box normally used for colouring the new white resin (still need to test it). Only thing with the package is that you get a mix of colors while I would have preferred all black. Does anybody know if the pigment color influences the amount of UV passing through the resin? Or is it just a matter of the amount of pigment particles (independent of color) stopping the UV light?

@Joseph, to avoid misunderstanding, in the first line you mentioned 3.25-3.5% while in the second like you mention 1.75/500 grams which would be about 0.35%. Are you referring to a different brand of black pigment in the first line?

JosephOsborn

Postby JosephOsborn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:25 pm

minimaker wrote:@Joseph, to avoid misunderstanding, in the first line you mentioned 3.25-3.5% while in the second like you mention 1.75/500 grams which would be about 0.35%. Are you referring to a different brand of black pigment in the first line?

Sorry, that was a brainfart. I have no idea why I put a percentage sign there. It's 3.25-3.5 milliliters of pigment per kilogram of resin. Danny at FTD advised not to exceed 4ml/kg concentration with the FTD pigments. I'm using Makerjuice pigment, and I do not know if it is more or less concentrated as FTD, but I assume they are fairly similar.

minimaker

Postby minimaker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Ah, that clears it up. :) Thanks

Return to “Resins”