best resin for small parts

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jon_bondy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

best resin for small parts

Postby jon_bondy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:43 pm

I need to print some small parts (an 8 mm dome, and a "sword" that is about 1 mm x 1 mm x 10 mm). I tried using Vorex, but at that small size, the parts are very soft. I need something that is harder and stiffer. Any recommendations?

cew

Re: best resin for small parts

Postby cew » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm

I also make small prototype parts. I haven't tried vorex but have tested a few other resins and currently mainly use B9 black resin.

The post curing steps make a large difference to the mechanical properties of most resins. UV post cure in warm water rapidly hardens the surface of parts and makes them stiff. About 30 minutes under UV or in the sun works well for the B9 resin. The addition of heat cure helps fully cure resins. We use overnight ramped oven cycles to fully harden resins after UV. Others use other faster microwave in water etc.