Resin Features & Properties Wish List

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
jkao
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:42 am

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby jkao » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:01 am

There are no standardized tests that I know of, but I did devise 4 tests that can be run in a relatively standardized way for the following properties:

Cure Depth
Film Adhesion
Plate Adhesion Ratio
Liquid Immersion Suction

Only one of which actually requires printing (the plate adhesion ratio).

The details of these are bit long to post and contain a bunch of notes and stuff that I'm not quite ready to post publicly since it names the names of vendors whom I don't know want to be publicized with some random guy's random tests, but if you PM me your email address I can add you to the Trello board that I've been using to keep track of my experiments.

User avatar
sgraber
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby sgraber » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:21 am

Hugues wrote:In many months i have not been able to print successfully more than a few parts with my SLA printer. Parts sticks to the vat floor and/or detach from build plate. Hope we soon see solutions à la Carbon 3D.


It might be your printer setup. Sticking to the vat floor indicates overcuring. Detaching from the build plate indicates you didn't use enough "burn-in" time and/or your layer height might be too thick.

Can you tell us your printer setup and take photos of your vat and build plate?
Research Chemist
MakerJuice UV SLA Resins

Hugues
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby Hugues » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:38 pm

sgraber wrote:...

Can you tell us your printer setup and take photos of your vat and build plate?


Thanks for your offer, much appreciated.

But i would not like to derail this thread with my little problems.

CaptainBisquick
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby CaptainBisquick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

jkao is right. I just want my prints to come out reliably. I'm guessing part of the issue is the resin maker not bothering to include exposure time info or vat compatibility, with the product. *cough* *makerjuice* *cough*

User avatar
sgraber
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby sgraber » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 pm

CaptainBisquick wrote:jkao is right. I just want my prints to come out reliably. I'm guessing part of the issue is the resin maker not bothering to include exposure time info or vat compatibility, with the product. *cough* *makerjuice* *cough*


Regarding the vat compatibility: all of our resins are compatible with both PDMS and FEP flexvats. They will not swell nor discolor them during usage. I guess I'm a bit confused about the "compatibility" question?

As to the exposure time: given the sheer number of projectors being used, it's nigh on impossible for us to give exposure times for every single projector. If everyone were using just one or two projectors then, yeah, we could. But with the variety of optics, lumens, bulbs, filters, color wheels, how close the projector is to the vat, etc, we just can't do it. Honestly I don't see the other resin manufacturers providing this information either...
Research Chemist
MakerJuice UV SLA Resins

CaptainBisquick
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby CaptainBisquick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:56 pm

sgraber wrote:
CaptainBisquick wrote:jkao is right. I just want my prints to come out reliably. I'm guessing part of the issue is the resin maker not bothering to include exposure time info or vat compatibility, with the product. *cough* *makerjuice* *cough*


Regarding the vat compatibility: all of our resins are compatible with both PDMS and FEP flexvats. They will not swell nor discolor them during usage. I guess I'm a bit confused about the "compatibility" question?

As to the exposure time: given the sheer number of projectors being used, it's nigh on impossible for us to give exposure times for every single projector. If everyone were using just one or two projectors then, yeah, we could. But with the variety of optics, lumens, bulbs, filters, color wheels, how close the projector is to the vat, etc, we just can't do it. Honestly I don't see the other resin manufacturers providing this information either...


Thanks for the response. Sorry for directing my frustration at you. I support your decision to raise your product prices, BTW, and I'm glad you did. To me, increasing print success rates is pretty important to this community. If the MakerJuice site was to endorse a list of currently tested projectors, I think that would be a good start. I certainly would have followed one if I had been aware of one when I was placing my order for the LittleRP. At that time, I didn't see any guide for choosing a projector so I picked the Acer H6510BD, only based on what was available on Amazon which did 1080p.

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why my prints fail sometimes. Previously I had concluded my exposure time was wrong for my vat, but the real issue was that the base layer surface area was so large that the adhesion force was too high. The first couple layers stuck to the platform every single time, but the print would fail to stick somewhere within the first 20 layers. Sorry I blamed that on you.

I really just wish there was a guide which said, "Always use this _____ projector, in this _____ configuration, with this _____ resin (color of your choice), and it will work every time, so long as you do these ________ things with your model".

raw
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: Resin Features & Properties Wish List

Postby raw » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:46 pm

I really just wish there was a guide which said, "Always use this _____ projector, in this _____ configuration, with this _____ resin (color of your choice), and it will work every time, so long as you do these ________ things with your model".


One of my goals is to build a platform for 'distributed reliability testing'. For example, a set of test prints that would help users diagnose problems quickly, and to normalize the variations between resins/printers. Early on in the days of 3D Systems, there was a user group that would all submit calibration prints to a central metrology group, who would check the tolerances and recommend repair/calibration as the equipment fell out of alignment. That was pretty straightforward because there was a single supplier for resin and printers. What would the Web 2.0 version of that workflow look like? I would love to hear your thoughts on this, here or privately raw [at] polyspectra


Return to “Resins”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest