Additional Pigment needed for FTD Deep Black?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
JosephOsborn

Re: Additional Pigment needed for FTD Deep Black?

Postby JosephOsborn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:25 pm

I've added additional pigment and the load is approximately 2.75ml/kg. Details are noticeably cleaner on the first test print. I'm running a print now that I hope will show marked improvement over earlier attempts.

Tim.Yoshi

Postby Tim.Yoshi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Be carefull with pigments :) It's better to add a little and then little more, than to much from the first time - you will not be able to "take it back" from resin :) Yes. FTD has very big light bleeding problems. But be carefull to mix different types of pigments - sometimes they could kind of "add" to each other's "strenght" and sometimes they could "multiply" it. I'm talking about when there is dye in resin and you add a pigment - it works in totally different way. I usually prefer use clear resin and pigment it to "my taste" :)
Yes, MakerJuice pigments is the way to go, but kind of expensive :( To completelly eliminate light bleed you need quite a lot of pigment. Bit expect curing time to be much bigger. Also resin could go into "narrower" slice possibility. I.e. not 50-200 as "stock" but something like 20-30 micrones with a lot of pigment. It will not cure deeper than 40-50 micron, no matter how long you exposure it.

JosephOsborn

Postby JosephOsborn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:42 am

Providing some updated info here: I found that Makerjuice black pigment mixed into Deep Black at a load of approximately 3.25ml/kg made virtually all of my z-bleed issues go away at 30 to 50 micron slices. My exposure times for 50-micron slices increased from about 1800ms for raw Deep Black to about 4200ms for pigmented Deep Black. This is with a Viewsonic PJD7820 projector positioned approximately 10.5cm from the vat bottom. The difference in detail and quality with the additional pigment is very much worth the additional print time. I never tried printing at anything bigger than 70-micron slices with raw Deep Black, but I could see that at 70-microns the performance was better than at 50. I'd say that if you are printing at 70 to 100 microns, Deep Black will work straight from the bottle for most prints. If you want to print at smaller slices for finer resolution, you should probably consider adding additional pigment.

Return to “Resins”