Blue sensitive resin

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shakipu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Blue sensitive resin

Postby Shakipu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:46 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this community but i'm making my own 3D printer with a DLP projector. My goal is to get the cost for under 500€ for a build size approximatively 15cm x 10cm x 30cm. I will make a post later to present myself and my unfinished-3D printer.

I bought an Axaa Pico P2 Jr (I saw a post about changing the LED of this one, great!) and tried some Shaper resin that didn't work (as I expected, this resin is UV-sensitive only). I saw that SpotAMaterials have an experimental 470nm-sensitive resin and they says that some of their resins can work a little in the 470nm. However I've never been able to contact them by using the form on the website in order to buy some of this experimental resin.

Has anyone tested it out ? Or is anyone have a supplier that produces blue-sensitive resin for low costs (Bucktown Polymer is too expensive) ?
I know they are using the photoinitiator Hnu-470 : http://www.sglinc.com/Home/LimitedHomep ... ators.aspx but they are the only one selling resin with this type or photoinitiator ?

hp_

Re: Blue sensitive resin

Postby hp_ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 am

maybe 3d materials uses this type of photo initiator, their resin reacts to light very very fast.

hp

fleming

Postby fleming » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:06 am

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 am

I was lucky enough to be able to try out some of the Spot-A 470PI. I used the 470PI with the Low viscosity resin. Its very potent stuff, only needed about 5g of PI for the 1kg of resin. It mixes very easily.

I was hoping it would help with my LCD based printer as I was using a special coral MH bulb that puts out a lot of 450nm light but it didnt seem much better for my setup and the 430nm. I even tried a mix of 430 and 470 and that seemed better.

Ive since switched to 400nm LED's and havent tested any resin yet so no idea how it would work now. But I suspect that unless your light source is tuned to 470nm it wont be any better. I have a cheap Photospectrometer that I made to check the wavelengths of light my light source is putting out. very handy.

As for contacting Spot-A, yes, its not a easy thing to do. Fernando is the owner and he is a very busy one man crew. Be patient and keep on emailing, he does eventually respond and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Shakipu

Postby Shakipu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Cheap Photospectrometer. http://publiclab.org/wiki/spectrometer

I tried to make the cardboard one but it didnt work very well. I bought the kit with the webcam and im using that with decent results. Its not super duper accurate, but it gives you an idea of what light wavelengths are coming from your light source and plots it on a graph.

Shakipu

Postby Shakipu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Shakipu

Postby Shakipu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:27 am

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I tried to contact Spot-A materials through their new contact form. And they answered me in the day ! Here is their answer (I though it would be instructive for all of us):
"Hello,Maybe I will the harbinger of bad news, but is this th eprojector you are taling about?http://www.projectorcentral.com/AAXA_P2_Jr_pico_projector_review.htmIf yes, it is listed at 55 Lumens, with a LED source, so tentatively around 20 Lumen of blue light. LED projectors tipically use 455nm blue LEDs which is not optimal for resin curing.It is possible, theoretically, but you will end up with a very underpowered setup, that will need extremely high exposure times (maybe even minutes per layer) and you will still not achieve a reasonable cure rate, so that the resins will remain soft and gel like. You shoudl look into more powerful light sources and as close to 400-425nm as possible for visible light (385nm would be even quicker)Sorry, for the bad news"

That close the subject.

Cation

Postby Cation » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 pm

The http://bucktownpolymers.com/zve200-v470.html is sensitive from UV to >500nm and is designed for LED, Pico and LCD projectors.

The spota 470 used a very slow photoinitiator Hnu-470. Yhe ZVE200-V470 uses a very fast and sensitive photoinitiator. They can also blend just about any resin to work from UV - 500nm.