problems with maker juice G+

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hefeglass
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

problems with maker juice G+

Postby hefeglass » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 am

I got a bottle of red G+ in yesterday. As soon as i got the bottle I shook it up for a minute and then poured some into my vat. There were a bunch of micro bubbles on the surface and i waited a while ..but they didn't really disappear. I decided to do a small test print at .1mm layers and the objects came out perfect. Then i decided to do another small test print of a couple marvin keychains, same layer height. As i am printing the marvins i noticed pigment red sludge starting to form on the surface and enclosing over the parts every time they dip into the resin. This pigment (or whatever it is) that is clumping causes the resin not to cure and there are giant holes and all kinds of issues. The marvins are perfect until the stuff starts gathering in the resin..you can actually see where they start and are perfectly formed for quite a few layers.
so i assume maybe i need to remix the resin..so i remix it extremely well as i did the first time, it seems nice and smooth, no clumps or anything. Do another print of the marvins and it starts to happen again. Its as if the pigment doesnt really mix with the resin, it starts to float to the surface.
I decided to let the resin bottle sit overnight to see if it had excess pigment or something that needed to settle. I cleaned the vat and platform very well and poured resin from the bottle into the vat. It was noticeably lumpy (i hadn't poured any used resin back into this container). at this point I am suspecting that I have a bad batch possibly.. I just tried to do another print and when i came back to the finished print, the vat had that same stuff allover the surface

I have sent a couple messages to maker juice and havent gotten a response yet, but has anyone else had this happen? I have used fun to do and made solid resin and both of them had no issues like this.

(edit: just got an email from MJ and they are sending a new bottle)

IMG_8496.JPG

IMG_8498.JPG

hefeglass

Re: problems with maker juice G+

Postby hefeglass » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 pm

got another bottle and have the same problem. Pigment starts to separate and form pools on the surface within 10 minutes of starting the print..Beginning of print looks good and it begins to fall apart as the pigment gathers.

what am i doing wrong?

hp_

Postby hp_ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:46 am

hi Hefeglass,

maybe stirr the resin every 10 minutes, to keep the resin and pigment mixed?

cheers, hp

hefeglass

Postby hefeglass » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 pm

^this is definitely an option..

id like to find out why this is occurring. I have had pigment settle with other resins but not float on the surface like this..causing light blockage. Has anyone else had issues with g+ and top down setup?
I thought it was the pigment that had a separation issue..but I bought a container of makerjuice red pigment when i bought this bottle and tried adding some of it to funtodo snow white resin and it mixed in perfectly..hasnt settled since yesterday.
I really want to be able to use maker juice since its so inexpensive, i need to figure out whats going on here
i have a half liter of red SF on the way..maybe i will have better luck with that formula.

tgreif

Postby tgreif » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:59 am

i've the same problem .
do you think that it will be better with a resin without color??