CastSolid resin used in kiln burn-out or in vulcanized molds?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
smsla
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CastSolid resin used in kiln burn-out or in vulcanized molds?

Postby smsla » Mon May 18, 2015 2:45 pm

The body of this post is a re-post [for the most part] from my reply to the post by JSmith172 at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2733

Hi,
If an artist is able to create a vulcanized mold with any resin -- why the hype over so-called 'CASTING' resins? Meaning that if I print a resin piece then vulcanize it -- then cut around the mold, and even into the resin and manage to create a usable vulcanized mold from ANY printable resin, and then inject some wax into the created mold and run off as many copies of the original as the mold will allow, why would I need to buy expensive Casting resins? Am I just purchasing this expensive goop so that I can burn out the printed resin with a kiln only if I wanted or needed to, vs running multiple copies of wax version using the vulcanized rubber route? Thanks in advance!!
Respectfully,
Last edited by smsla on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve H.
USA

smsla

Re: CastSolid resin use in kiln burn-out or in vulcanized mo

Postby smsla » Tue May 19, 2015 2:46 am

Also, has anyone incorporated sprues or gates into their prints? Or should I try melting wax sprues and gates on the CastSolid print prior to pouring the investment? I will eventually try this, so this is just a prelim question before I do, to inquire if it's been done before. Thanks!
Steve H.
USA