top down with resin floating on water or ???

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
maxman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: top down with resin floating on water or ???

Postby maxman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:59 am

Hey,

i've tested a little bit and now i've got a solution for resin floating.

The resin and the solution stays stable for 3 weeks now and there are any reactions.

I've got no problems until now and i was able to save nearly 150$ for resin.

If there is somebody interested in getting this stuff, write me message.

regards,
Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm

how does the water affect the stability of the resin while printing? I would imagine the resin sloshes around more on top of the water? like if you were to bump the table in the middle of printing a layer would it affect the layer thickness due to the resin moving from waves or ripples in the water?

fleming

Postby fleming » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Happycamper

Postby Happycamper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 pm

I am very interested. I'm about to start a build and would like to do top down. Thanks!

oliveenchine

Postby oliveenchine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm also interested , would share the recipe of your mixture ?

Toadious

Postby Toadious » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:46 am

According to Josh at MakerJuice their resin has a density of 1.1g per cubic meter or 1.1 g/m3. Water has a density of 1g/m3 how ever salt saturated water or brine has a density of 1.2g/m3. Glycerine is also in that range with 1.26g/m3. Hope this helps, if I can figure it out I should have a sample machine built by the end of April. This method would also have to address the vertical deviation from the platform and projector staying still and the surface of the resin moving.

Excited4DLP

Postby Excited4DLP » Mon May 26, 2014 1:56 am

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question but seeing the subject title is "top down with resin" I figured it would be the best place to ask.

Question: With top down set-ups, is it possible to simply pour the unused portions of resin back into its container until the next time you need to print something? Or is resin no good once it is in the VAT? Seems like one of the main disadvantages with top down is the amount of resin required to print something.

darrin3d

Postby darrin3d » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Use a vat that doesn't allow any light in, and has a lid. No need to remove the resin from the vat between prints then.

Excited4DLP

Postby Excited4DLP » Mon May 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Assuming that the VAT is free of light on from sides how long would resin be good for once it is poured out of the original container?

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Im thinking of trying out a top down with floating resin for my LCD printer.

Im just having too many issues with cured resin sticking to the vat on bottom up. I have a very large build area (400x300x300) and when printing large parts the sticking becomes very bad, I originally tried to stay away from top down because I would need a crazy amount of resin to fill my vat, but with this floating resin I think it wouldnt be so bad and it would solve my sticking issue.

Im going to try experimenting, If anyone has experience with it please let me know if you found anything helpful.