top down with resin floating on water or ???

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
kakapoopie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: top down with resin floating on water or ???

Postby kakapoopie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm

hey guys..using plain salt water here with subG+ No problems so far. Kinda looks like a lava lamp when you pour it in

bobbitay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bobbitay » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

Thought I'd throw in my two cents as well since I've just started printing and I have a top down and I floated it on salt water, too. Just plain table salt is what I used with tap water. I heated it on the stove top to get it to dissolve as much as possible and then let it cool to room temperature and poured it into my vat avoiding pouring the remaining salt crystals that formed at the bottom after cooling. Then I poured in my resin on top. It floats very well. Sub G+ is the resin that I'm using for now.

My question is - are there any resins that may be too dense to float on top of the salt water? And how long has plain salt water lasted for anyone or do you make a new batch every printing session?

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Ive been doing some experiments with floating resin. Heres some things ive found.

Ive had some FTD red resin and some SPOT-LV w/black dye resin floating on salt water for the last 2 weeks. I just left it there to see what would happen.

I used 30% salt to distilled water by weight and just mixed it in. After the two weeks I found a few salt crystals on the bottom of the tub. Not many, but I think 30% is about the maximum i could get to stay in solution. I dont see some salt crystals at the bottom affecting too much. no salt was in the resin.

I did some density tests, My FTD resin was 0.98g/ml, Spot-lv was 0.95g/ml, distilled water was 1g/ml and salt water was 1.15g/ml. Both resins floated easily on the salt water, but mixed a little on just water.

I found that some of the edges of the FTD resin started to cure after being left out for 2 weeks, a little less with the spot-lv, I just had them out in the room. They werent getting direct light but were exposed to some indirect light.

The FTD resin and pigment had separated a little, it was noticeably lighter on the top of the resin. I didnt see any change in the Spot-lv with dye.

I took both tubs outside and exposed them to sunlight and they got extremely hot, nearly started to boil the water! after dumping out the water I let it sit and sizzle for a a couple minutes.. The reactions are very hot! be careful!

waleedq

Postby waleedq » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:09 am

This floating method is amazing,
But i have one question that have just floated up, would the salt water cause the cured resin parts to float to the surface?? would it force the object to get off the build surface due to density differences? if so this method will still fail with large objects

hefeglass

Postby hefeglass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 pm

^i havent had any issues with this yet...as long as the object is adhered properly to a perforated build plate it should stay put

newraper1963

Postby newraper1963 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:16 pm

I've been using this method since last Christmas without any issue. I have printed with all the Fun To Do resins except Snow White with no problems. I've even had the build plate go below the resin and into the salt water while printing. No problem. As stated, just made sure the print is attached well to the build plate. As an add on, I print parts for my model cars almost every day.

fponticelli

Postby fponticelli » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Has anyone tried with glycerin?

I did and it was a disaster. But I think the main problem was that I was trying to print bottom-up. The liquid are very clearly separated and glycerin is extremely dense. I bet it would work fine with a top-down.

Now I really need to think if I should redesign my machine to be top-down :(

Fridolin

Postby Fridolin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:16 pm

FR3Dprint

Postby FR3Dprint » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:28 am

Hi Fridolin,

I'd already experienced this issue, when printing with salt water, but with a major difference. I use FunToDo resin, which needs many hours to the pigments to go down. The snow white resin "loose" pgmentation faster than lack or red ftd resin. Nevertheless, I successfully print object that takes around 10hrs, without any problem. The pigments form a 3rd layer, only the day after. For red resins, I think this takes more time.