Can we use salt water on a bottom up machine ?

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hugues
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can we use salt water on a bottom up machine ?

Postby Hugues » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 am

I promise I searched the forum before posting :

In a bottom up setup, can we use a little layer of salt water between the vat floor and the resin ? To avoid the sticking problem..

Slap me on the fingers with a thick wooden ruler if that was already asked :P

PomeroyB

Re: Can we use salt water on a bottom up machine ?

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 am

The problem is trying to maintain a liquid barrier that is consistent in its thickness. This might not be too hard when you're looking at thicknesses greater than 1 mm, but some people are printing at layer heights of .01mm... Any mixing that happens between the resin and liquid barrier will have a big effect.

I know it's been discussed before... but I can't seem to find the topic right now...

dangre

Postby dangre » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Discussed shortly here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2214
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:37 pm

ok,
someone has tried it here with glycerin:
http://b9creator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1331

with limited success, but then the thread branches out but the link is invalid, they're talking about using a thin transparent film between the glycerin and resin, with a certain tension i guess, to avoid the mixing.

Don't know.

dangre

Postby dangre » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Yea, same conclusion there...
If you can get a 0.10mm or 0.05mm or 0.02mm(0.0008") layer of resin to replenish and settle consistently between the build plate and the 'salt water' then you got a solution. I just don't see how you would do it. If you are going to use a film why not use FEP film on a flex vat which many of us are already using successfully.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP