Blue light cured resin

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tom-res
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Blue light cured resin

Postby tom-res » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Has anyone tried Bucktown Polymers' ZVE200-V470 resin? Claims that it is sensitive enough to be cured by a standard pico/pocket sized projector.

This would be amazing for getting the physical size of the printers down and could potentially solve problems regarding LCD based printers that only pass light above 400nm.
Sample sizes are fairly cheap, around $35 (if you're living in the US anyway, shipping to Canada is $100 otherwise I would have already ordered).

As an alternative, has anyone tried 'hacking' the resins currently available? You can purchase photo-initiators from aliexpress and make your FunToDo or MakerJuice resins sensitive to a wider spectrum, maybe even cure from unmodded pico.

Thoughts?

Phife

Re: Blue light cured resin

Postby Phife » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:53 pm

There are plenty of resins available that work up to 470nm, most work fine up to 430nm. Not sure what you mean about solving problems with LCD based printers, mine works fine at 405nm. 0.1mm layer in about 4-5 seconds.

As for Bucktown polymers, I tried their resin a long time ago, was similar to the rest, nothing special except its very strong chemical smell. So I didnt use it much. Not sure if they improved the resin, but I havent had much success in actually talking to anyone there. IMO, there are a ton of other resin suppliers who provide very good resin and good customer service.

As for "Hacking" resins, my first LCD printer used a bulb and was very low power, I made my own resin by buying the resin and Photo-initiator seperate, then mixing my own. I had a working resin that used PI that was good up to 500nm from Spot-A, but its peak was around 470nm and most of the bulbs power was around 450nm so it wasnt ideal. Now with my LED array I just use regular resin, from the well known suppliers.

tom-res

Postby tom-res » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Hey phife,
sorry, so which resins are you referring to that could work with unmodified picos or with normal LCD screens (not the expensive and difficult to source monochrome)? I haven't come across any of those yet so if you have any links please share.

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Spot-A, MakerJuice, FTD, Madesolid.. all should work up to 430nm..

Its not so much a problem of the LCD or Pico projectors not having the right wavelength of light, but more the power level of the light. Pico projectors low power LED's and LCD's lose over 90% of the light due to the polarizers. You just need a stronger light.

Cation

Postby Cation » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:56 am

The http://bucktownpolymers.com/zve200-v470.html is sensitive to over 500nm. That is why it works with unmodified Pico, LED and LCD projectors.

Many of the smaller pico projectors use LED's vs a wide spectrum lamp. The LED's used for Blue are centered around 460nm. The other resins tend to use BAPO or TPO as photoinitiators that are not sensitive above ~430nm.

@Phife thats why they won't cure at 470nm. Stronger or more power at 470nm won't cure resins with photoinitiators that are only sensitive below 430nm.