Trouble Curing SubG+

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
kakapoopie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Trouble Curing SubG+

Postby kakapoopie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi all, I'm having trouble curing SubG+ :(

As a test, I'm putting a drop of resin on my build platform and waiting for it to cure with the projector at full blast white, on the bright setting (308W). I've left it for over a minute and it's still soft. If I hold the drops a few inches away from the projector, they will cure in a few seconds, but the projector can't focus that close.

From the build plate to the projector is about 10" with a 45* front surface mirror. Top down build.

The projector is an Optoma HD2200.

Am I doing something wrong or is the projector just not putting out enough UV?

Thanks,
Vaughan

hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trouble Curing SubG+

Postby hp_ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:29 am

Hi,

from what i hear, Projectors must have 2200 Lumen or more to be effective..

your projector is 1900 ANSI lumens.

Kind regards,
hp

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 am

Bummer...I guess I will try pico with UV led then...

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 am

That's not actually correct, I have a test bed with a Optoma HD65 which is 1600 lumens with a end of life lamp and it will cure resin fine. It did however need a mod to focus closer and the color wheel removed or it would not cure resin properly.
So OP if you haven't removed the color wheel I would do so, you need to remove it from the light path and still have it connected and working. I was able to place mine to the side and fasten it down out of the way.
Also what is your focal distance for the resolution you are trying to cure? I found I had to put a spacer between the inner and outer lens to shorten the distance, it was over 300mm focal now around 250mm which made a very big impact in exposure times.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 am

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Ahh, thanks for the info guys. Maybe I'll try to find a broken projector online (or pico) to salvage, dont want to wreck this one. Also I have an old LCD screen lying around I'll test if that will let UV light through.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 pm

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

ah well, thanks for saving me the time. I'm still interested in Pico though...do you think its better to just usea 20W UV in or 3 5w leds where the old ones were?

android78

Postby android78 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Has anyone managed a mod of a mercury lamp projector to use UV LEDs? Even giving the LEDs their own power supply, I guess you'd have to trick the projector into thinking the lamp was still connected, but there should be a way.

Regarding the question about single or multiple UV LEDs, I imagine the best is to remove the dichroic mirrors and use a single LED, but I'm not expert.

dlp_builder

Postby dlp_builder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:09 am