Resins For Investment Casting

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
chill74

Re: Resins For Investment Casting

Postby chill74 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Using MakerJuice WaxCast...working out well so far!

Mattasmack

Postby Mattasmack » Sun May 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Dang, the WaxCast must be brand new! On their website, MakerJuice lists some requirements/recommendations for casting with their WaxCast (larger sprues, a specific burnout schedule, etc.). Chill74, do you find that you have to follow those closely, or is the material fairly forgiving in terms of the investment and burnout? I'm probably going to use B9 Emerald for the foreseeable future (since I just bought a liter of it, which is going to last forever ...), but wonder if I should recommend the WaxCast to other local jewelers instead. $50 for half a liter is a lot more palatable than ~$200+ for a liter of anything else.

chill74

Postby chill74 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 am

I am just in the printing phase, however, on the jewelry cad forum that I frequent, people are having great results.
I currently use B9 cherry/B9 Red and am just switching over.
I will post the casting results in a few days to really compare the differences if any.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 pm

We worked really hard on this resin and would love to see the results from end users. Please, please, post photos of both prints and casts!
Research Chemist
MakerJuice UV SLA Resins

svs

Postby svs » Wed May 11, 2016 4:00 am

silver casting photos from customer.
http://senertek.com/3d/tumbo.htm
Attachments
1a1.jpg
1bsk.jpg

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am

Just ordered some of that Waxcast resin!

Been trying with B9 Yellow which keeps sticking to the damn VAT FEP! I'm wasting FEP as a square test piece I'm printing keeps getting stuck fast. Picking it off just destroys the FEP! :evil:

So far not happy with that resin but will keep trying as I have a litre of the stuff!

Tried slowing down the Z speed which wasn't working. That could have been due to the damaged FEP as no tension to release the print. Grrrrr.

Can someone please advise as to how to sync speed of Z and beamer. Since slowing it down, the beamer exposes the next slice before Z reaches down.

Using a LittleRP!

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 am

Which one are you having the problem with - B9 or WaxCast? It's not qualified in your statement which you're talking about. :)
Research Chemist
MakerJuice UV SLA Resins

chill74

Postby chill74 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

WaxCast seems to be casting very well. I am still adjusting coming from the B9 resins insofar as temps and curing. However, following the Waxcast docs for casting gives a very good baseline so far.

DSC_0049_e1.jpg

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

sgraber wrote:Which one are you having the problem with - B9 or WaxCast? It's not qualified in your statement which you're talking about. :)

It's the B9 Yellow. ;)

Mattasmack

Postby Mattasmack » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 pm

chill74 wrote:WaxCast seems to be casting very well. I am still adjusting coming from the B9 resins insofar as temps and curing. However, following the Waxcast docs for casting gives a very good baseline so far.

Those look nice! What orientation did you print them in? (It looks like there are some lines on the righthand piece running vertically from the sprue base; are those layer lines?)

Return to “Resins”