Resins For Investment Casting

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
chill74

Re: Resins For Investment Casting

Postby chill74 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 pm

jimmyjackson wrote:Can you please suggest some good castable resin supplier in the US ?

MakerJuice WaxCast is the good stuff!

jimmyjackson

Postby jimmyjackson » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm

chill74 wrote:
jimmyjackson wrote:Can you please suggest some good castable resin supplier in the US ?

Tried it and couldn't get a good cast. Who makes B9's resin ?

chill74

Postby chill74 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:39 pm

jimmyjackson wrote:
chill74 wrote:

Tried it and couldn't get a good cast. Who makes B9's resin ?

B9 makes B9's resin (Or has it made custom...). They have the MSDS on their website.

The WaxCast casts exactly like wax with no ash and a smooth surface. However...it MUST be cured all the way...meaning it has to be almost yellow. I can post some castings in a few days. I hade some rough surface castings initially when I did not let the resin cure (it was still too orange..and it reacts with investment giving a very rough texture) ...had the same issues with the B9 Cherry/Red when it is not cured...

B9 has a light they sell that will fully cure their resin and I am told WaxCast as well. There are other means of DIY coating that will seal pretty much any castable resin eliminating the need for curing.

Incidently, I have used both Cherry/Red from B9 and WaxCast and they both are castable when fully cured. I prefer WaxCast because you can literally see the wax in it. It also doesn't settle.

B9 has newer Yellow/Green that people are casting very well...but I have not personally tried it.

~Cam

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:41 pm

chill74 wrote:The WaxCast casts exactly like wax with no ash and a smooth surface. However...it MUST be cured all the way...meaning it has to be almost yellow. I can post some castings in a few days. I hade some rough surface castings initially when I did not let the resin cure (it was still too orange..and it reacts with investment giving a very rough texture) ...had the same issues with the B9 Cherry/Red when it is not cured...

B9 has a light they sell that will fully cure their resin and I am told WaxCast as well. There are other means of DIY coating that will seal pretty much any castable resin eliminating the need for curing.

Incidently, I have used both Cherry/Red from B9 and WaxCast and they both are castable when fully cured. I prefer WaxCast because you can literally see the wax in it. It also doesn't settle.

B9 has newer Yellow/Green that people are casting very well...but I have not personally tried it.

~Cam

I think this is the #1 thing people don't do: cure the parts enough. They always want to rush it. Myself, I cure the heck out of it before doing any sort of casting and I have not had a problem with it either at my jeweler.
Research Chemist
MakerJuice UV SLA Resins

jimmyjackson

Postby jimmyjackson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you guys.

How many ours do you cure the rings under the UV light. What wattage of UV do you use ?

Can you also post a picture of the all the way cured model to see the color
thank you

chill74

Postby chill74 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 pm

jimmyjackson wrote:Thank you guys.

How many ours do you cure the rings under the UV light. What wattage of UV do you use ?

Can you also post a picture of the all the way cured model to see the color
thank you

My UV light is probably on the weak side, and I can't really cure it as well as I like...but at least 4-5hrs @ 18watts (LED) or so. I use a coating for now. I will likely buy a B9 cure light, or make one similar.

I suspect I need at least double that wattage to cure in a reasonable amount of time.

There are 2 casting issues with resins that I think most manufacturers are trying to solve.
1) The reaction of the resin with the hardening of the investment - This is the curing issue that causes rough surfaces - Better the cure the better the surface quality of the casting.
2) The burnout where ash can cause pitting etc. -right now, most castable resins have pretty minimal ash content with proper burnout -1350F 2hrs min.

cerriousdesign

Postby cerriousdesign » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:14 pm

I cure my resin with heat, an old heating element, at 200 degrees in a vacuum chamber for 2 hours. Cures the resin all the way through not just on the surface like U.V. does.
Attachments
CAM00035.jpg

James

Postby James » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:07 am

Interesting. I don't see why the vacuum is needed though. Can you explain this aspect?
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

chill74

Postby chill74 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Test Bracelet Links
WaxCast
R&R Ultravest...
No problems casting WaxCast and these are on the thick side for testing.
Attachments
ProShot_20160813_204041_e.png

Return to “Resins”