Makerjuice seems to eat enamel paint

You can discuss Photo-sensitive resins, polymers, and oligomers.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gmoneyphx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Makerjuice seems to eat enamel paint

Postby gmoneyphx » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:23 am

Making a top down system and had a steel arm and platform holder that I sprayed with Rustoleum automotive enamel paint (gloss white) - after 36 hours drying (at about 75 degrees) did a 20 minute print in SubG+ resin. Paint coming off and softening now. So don't do this...

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Makerjuice seems to eat enamel paint

Postby PacManFan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:09 am

Relevant:
http://probjectblogs.blogspot.com/2013/ ... r-win.html

I made a post about how it dissolves ABS.

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:29 am

Pretty tough stuff for being a "non-irritant" eh?

Also they talk about "you can sit right next to ours and not need a gas mask." - well. Actually I worry less about the odor than I do the smoke that I see coming off of it when printing. There isn't a lot but seems like it can't be great to breath it. I mean really - what is the worst than can happen right?

Not trying to pick on Makerjuice here. Josh is good guy and has been very helpful. For my case I am going to use a 4" bilge blower

above the build surface to vent fumes outside. This is a great blower BTW. 12V and adjusts wonderfully from 3 - 12V. Moves a lot of air and is quite loud at 12V.

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 pm

I have also had some paint come off. I am mostly using SubG+ but have run a little SubG. I wonder how any of the resins react to the various metals in use? Maybe we just have to coat all contact surfaces with PDMS!?

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Always wear gloves and safety glasses, resin effects contact lenses I believe, once got some resin in a cut finger, it swelled up and horrible puss came out, lost my finger nail, so give the stuff respect, some people say even cured parts give them headaches.

P.S it was not makerjuice.
Random Precision

Josh@MakerJuice

Postby Josh@MakerJuice » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi everyone! Just wanted to comment on this as best I can without trying to push anything. Full disclosure: I am from MakerJuice obviously, but I'm not here to sell stuff, just try to help.

Many people don't know that these polymers will react this way with ABS. The reason why is the open bonds bind to the styrene in ABS and break the bonds that hold it together. ABS is Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene! :)

This is the same reason you would not want to put the resin in a Solo cup, they are extruded styrene.

I can't comment much on the enamel paint, because that is vague and so many companies use that with various formulations. But to be sure all of these polymers will act as a solvent for paint when uncured.

Regarding smoke during curing, that happens if the exposure energy is too much for the resin formulation or the resin is getting too hot. It will start to vaporize which is likely the smoke you see. If it is just happening because of the UV, then you likely need to request a blend with less photoinitiator from whoever you are buying from (us, SpotA, etc). That will cause it to to be less exothermic but also cure slower.

If it's happening because the resin is getting hot from a DLP fan blowing on it or something, I would recommend redirecting those exhaust fans away from the resin bath. Heat reduces the life of the uncured resin as well, so it's never great to have too much on your stuff when uncured.

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm

I got rid of the smoke by reducing the exposure time a bit. In this case I had the DLP (3000 lumen - color wheel removed) focused down to an area of 50mm x 38mm. Very bright and turns out Makerjuice cures quite quickly in this case ;)

SystemD

Postby SystemD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:10 am

Thanks all! And thanks Makerjuice for chiming in. My SubG just shipped and this helped me avoid a mistake. :D