LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
ibwood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby ibwood » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Phife I have sent you a PM specifying the details of the order. Please let me know once you get it.

riki74
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby riki74 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:15 am

Hi folks!,

I am a newbie and I love the enthusiasm of all the people in this forum; you are doing a great job here. I don't have a printer but I am eager to build one soon, until now I am enjoying the discussion. I saw that in many prototype there is the concern about the projection of the dots of the UV leds on the LCD. Using a simple (and cheap) light diffuser would not solve the issue (https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... film-rolls) ?

Riccardo

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:48 am

riki74

Postby riki74 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi Phife !
I know that you are the veteran here and that you have extensively analyzed each variable in the system ;) . So be patient ....
The few that I know is that polarizer minimize the scattering , that is why they are used as filter in cameras; so even if they reduce a lot the UV radiation at least they give us the advantage of minimizing the scattering. Do not you agree that the diffuser would impact only in reducing the UV transmission ?

riki74

Postby riki74 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 am

A really quick question: I spent all the day reading the forum but I could not really figure out if there is somebody still trying the Retina way or if it is completely abandoned.
Thanks
R.

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 am

@AndersonHTa

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:06 am

Im not saying a diffuser wouldnt work, but you will still get light scattering from the diffuser and lowering the overall output. The LCD's I use have antiglare layers on both sides that I have to remove to get a nice clear image in the resin.

As for the retina display LCD, I have all the parts to build a printer using this panel, but I havent got the time to work on it yet. When I finish this first build im going to try it again with a new higher power array im also working on.

orangezero

Postby orangezero » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-true- ... led-410nm/

These are the LEDs I purchased. I also have a 7.9in retina screen (2048x1536 ipad mini) in a win8 tablet, but haven't ripped it open yet. I just haven't had time to work on it in the last few weeks and more and more is leading me to think it isn't worth it.

From my reading, it seems you'd need around 8-12x the light intensity at 410nm compared to a DLP projector with the same LEDs. So, the 15 LEDs I have going through my retina screen would perhaps be less efficient than having two or three of those same LEDs used in a DLP projector. I really like the concept, but this seems to be rather wasteful and costly.

Didn't we all like the LCD screen idea mostly to cut down on size? I am not sure it is worth it if you need $150-300 in LEDs, power supplies, heatsinks, etc to get acceptable (not fast) cure times with a moderately uniform light source, unless you to want to be on the cutting edge.

I'm sure Phife will amaze us some day.

zoom

Postby zoom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 am

Can we use this service to print lens for led array?

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150226- ... rvice.html

;)

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 pm