LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
druk-3d
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby druk-3d » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:08 pm

watsonstudios
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby watsonstudios » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:09 pm

I've seen this video and actually awaiting a reply to my last comment on what he's using for a light source.

My only concern about this type of build is that in the video, it's cut up a lot. It shows him turning on and off the light source and the video is edited to where it looks like the exposures could be a lot longer than you would think. You never actually see how long each exposure is because the video cuts at that point.

I think it's a valid experiment, but because of how dark an LCD actually is, even on "white" pixels, I think you would have to expose for very long periods, might not be optimal for a printer application. For all we know, each exposure could be 1 or 2 minutes, who knows.....

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:23 am

Hi Nick! Welcome to the forum! :D

Very interesting project! To the best of my knowledge I don't think anyone has managed to successfully use a LCD to do SLA. What I find most interesting is it looks like you're not using any kind of a lens system! Whoa! So COOL! :D
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

haiyi911

Postby haiyi911 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 am

thank u sir,are there any more information about it??could you tell which forum where u show :D

Phife

Postby Phife » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Big News coming soon! I'll be posting a bunch of information, details and pictures of this printer soon. Bare with me, I am trying to get it done as soon as I can but my fulltime job and family life havent left me much free time. Dont worry though, Ive made good progress and will have a working printer to show soon.

James

Postby James » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

That's great news, can't wait to see what you've come up with! :D
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Thu May 01, 2014 12:04 am

And all went quiet...

Must be prepping for world domination, anyone know how this is coming along?
@AndersonHTa

Phife

Postby Phife » Thu May 01, 2014 12:46 am

Yeah, sorry guys..

Im bad with keeping this project on time and updated.

Im trying to get you guys some info as soon as I can. I dont want to jump the gun and put out info before Im sure its ready. Its just me working on this project and working full time and family life get in the way more than I'd like.

Ive been developing the LCD printer for over a year now. The first prototype that i built that was more than a proof of concepts was a failure. Lighting system was not up to par.

Since then Ive built and entirely new machine and solved many of the problems. Im currently developing a custom light engine and its taking a long time to sort out the right parts like lights and lenses. Ive tested over 40 lenses already. I have chosen the final parts though and expect them in any day. Still much work to go but I'll post up some pictures, renderings and details soon. Maybe in the next week.

Thanks for everyones patience! Im very excited to reveal this technology and I really think it will be a game changer.

Nick

7immer

Postby 7immer » Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Can't wait!! I've been wondering if this is possible for more than a year now. Hope to see something exciting soon :)
If anyone is interested this is the closest I've see someone get to LCD 3d printer: https://twitter.com/dizingof/status/287188155721990144
BTW what software are you using to slice your 3d files or are you just using something like powerpoint slides?

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Sun May 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice to see such a tread as I am too looking into a screen masking SLA machine. I am planing a build this summer. Keep it up guy's and I'll do the same.