LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 am

Good info, but IMO it wont do you much good.

The only place you're going to find a controller board for any of those panels is from stripping a complete used monitor apart. You might get lucky and get one for under $200. Buying new you are looking at $1000 at least and no guarantees it will work.

Buying the panel wont do you much good with out the controller. You have posted links to chips for controller boards, but no complete controller board. So someone would have to design one. Not simple or cheap.

Also, there is no need to have a special video card to run one of these panels. I run all of mine from a regular HDMI port on my laptop. No need to buy an expensive quadro card. All this talk about 8 bit and 10 bit is just a waste.. You dont need anything other than an HDMI or DVI port, Heck, even VGA supports the resolution. We are not displaying graphics, just solid color images.

Anyways, I have a custom controller board designed, I have a supplier for the panels at the cheapest ive found in my 2 years of research. All of it is sorted out. I dont think anything you posted is all that "Game Changing".

The part holding back my LCD printer is the release/vat design. You cannot use a normal flexvat, so Ive been trying many different designs. I think once a good release method for LCD is found then there are no problems using them. Even Color LCDs like the Ipad 3 LCD work, this has been tested and a commercial machine is going to be released soon with the Ipad LCD. Though Im looking for a larger build area so Im using a larger panel.

hegykc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hegykc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 am

I'm seeing complete controller boards on the links, LVDS input, dvi/vga output. I just don't see if they are for grayscale/monochrome monitors? I assume an RGB controller wouldn't be any good.

As to the "bits per color", it seems even 10bit is supported by the post 2007 Nvidia's. Yes it's true we don't need the bits for simple black/white image projection, but would a 10+ bit monitor even work on an 8bit card? If it works but is not able to take advantage of it's 10 or 12bit color resolution, doesn't matter to us, just as long as a regular graphics card is able to run it.

30k for a new Barco is out of the question. I've been quoted 2.800$ for some 5MP monitors from alibaba, which is still way too much. Sub 1.000$ would be very nice, that's in range with regular 4K monitors out there today.

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 am

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:59 am

I have sent digitalview and email about their SVX-3840 LCD controller

Also, I would imagen that the panel produce could aid us in these matters.

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Greyscale LCDs need a special controller card, just because the controller card supports the resolution does not mean it will support greyscale. I have only found one card capable of supporting the 2048x1536 resolution in Grayscale. Second, a custom firmware needs to be made for the specific panels inputs and timings. Custom cables need to be made as well. None of this is cheap or easy. And all of it requires a minimum order of 100pcs which makes buying one extremely expensive.

You can do all the research you want, Im not stopping you.. What I have an issue with is you hijacking my thread again, after I told you to start your own. And saying that what you have discovered is a "Game changer" like the information you have discovered is gonna change everything. Ive known everything you posted for quite some time now. Most of what you found is not even relevant to what I am trying to do.

You want to have a place to put your thoughts down, start your own thread.

This is my thread for introducing myself and my project. I have no interest in filling it with links and data to monochrome LCD. I am developing a printer for sale, not trying to teach everyone about monochrome LCD's.

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 pm

NL256204AM15-03A: 2560 x 2048 - 20.1" - 156 microns - This panel is in production.
http://www.nec-lcd.com/en/products/nl25 ... 5-03a.html
More info here;
http://www.panelook.com/NL256204AM15-03 ... _6355.html

Price example:

US $150.00 / piece
Shipping: US $59.41 / piece
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NL256204 ... 22871.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/N ... 35776.html

Suppliers: http://www.netcomponents.com/sitemap/NL ... 5-03A.html

This is a very good option.

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Not saying stay away, I appreciate you and your desire to learn about this. Not trying to be a dick. Just think this should probably have its own thread as you seem to have a lot of info to share. If you want I can move all your posts to a new thread.

Also, just so you know, that NEC panel is not $150USD, I got a quote last year and it was around $400 I believe. And doesnt have a controller board. The listing on Aliexpress is not the actual price for the panel. Message the seller and you will get the real price.

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:31 pm