LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby Phife » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Nica
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nica » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:05 pm

You see . I am really newbie. Thank you for answer

JJE

Postby JJE » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:24 am

Hey Phife,

I'm also new to the whole LCD idea, been looking up a lot of possibilities the last few months before attempting to make one. Can u show us some pictures of what you've already made?

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 pm

In all honesty, I suggest you wait till either I release all my info for people to make their own or you buy the Kast machine when it comes out.

There are too many variables for people to just start making their own LCD printer, unless you have a ton of free time and lots of money to blow.

Ive been at this for over two years, got tens of thousands invested. I have LCD panels all over the place, LED arrays, Various light rigs, measuring tools, non-working prototypes.. Each day I get closer and closer, and LCD's can work, there is just a lot to be figured out yet.

I will be releasing all my data and research, and even offer kits as some of the parts (like the LED array) are a bit more involved than the average DIYer can do. Hopefully sometime in the next few months or early 2015 I'll have this all ready. And I will be sure to post a lot of pictures of actual printed items when I get a bit further along.

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm

For anyone working with the iPad lcd screen. I finally had the guts to peel off the reflective coating off the back in the hopes of getting more light through. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only issue is the relfective layer is stuck pretty well to the polarizer so the polarizer comes off to. It may be possible to get the reflective layer off without pulling the polarizer but I doubt it. Now I have to find a polarizer replacement. Does anyone know if all lcd polarizers are pretty much created equal? Can I just order one form http://www.polarizingsheet.com/ and be ok? I guess if I buy a big enough one the angle won't be an issue cause I can just rotate it and then cut to size.

Phife

Postby Phife » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 pm

I also attempted to remove the reflective layer from both the IPAD3 9.6" lcd and a 10.2" 1920x1200 LCD I had. Both are not able to be removed without removing the polarizer.

I have no idea if its just a regular polarizer, but since you need to replace it I suggest you give it a try.

From my research, I can cure resin with the IPAD3 lcd about half as fast as with my monochrome LCD setup using the same wattage in my LED array. Probably due to the color filters blocking some light. I still have about 60% more power I can provide my LED array before it gets too hot, so I think i'll bump the power level up some more to over come the slower speed. IMO removing the reflective layer is not a good idea and can probably just be overcome with more power.

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks Phife. Super informative as always. I think I found a source for iPad polarizers so I should be good hopefully.

oliveenchine

Postby oliveenchine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:04 pm

I had no big special issue removing the reflective film on my ipad LCD(I'll post you the exact reference mine should be a SHARP), the reflective film comes in two layers , one is a kind on mylar film (traparent), second layer is (sticky one ) is the silver/blueish one made of really really think stripes of reflective material mixed with adhesive...
room temperature may be an important point , here the temp is around 30˚C , i started peeling one corner with the help of a cutter, but be careful the reflective film start on the same level of the polarizer , so need to "scratch" slowly the reflective film , then try to get one or two mm to be able to catch it will some tool .
the transparent film ( i guess mylar) is really easy to break when peeled vertically ( i mean from top->bottom / bottom->top of the LCD) , this will leave the reflective stripes and adhesive on the LCD (big mess to clean) .. so need to proceed very very slowly (took me about 20 minutes) and horizontally (right->left / left-right) ..
I finally could get rid of it .
I'm building a 96 x 3W , 405-407nm LED array , and made a first quick test with UV glue ( i unfortunately don't have resin for 3D printing , horribly expensive here in china ... ) with really positive results . the UV glue start to polymerise after a few second (~8-10sec).,
very important point ,not tested yet , need to cool down the LCD on the LED side . it become really hot (because of the 405nm light beam)

Sorry if my english is not really clear , i'm a french guy lost in China ;)

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:35 pm

so you had no problem removing the reflective layer?

hmm, Im not sure why im having to much trouble. Ive removed antiglare, polarizers and other layers from various LCD's dozens of times in the past with no issue, but this reflective stuff is not coming off as easily.

Do you just peel it off? in my experience ive always had to soak the film with some wet cloths for several hours before the adhesive would be soft enough to remove without leaving residue.

Youre saying you just peeled it off and didnt have to deal with a bunch of adhesive mess after? Can you explain your process a little more?

oliveenchine

Postby oliveenchine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Sure I will ! Just give me a few days to post some photos, and explain the process .