LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby dpizzle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:21 pm

So I'm having trouble getting any decent cure times with my 54 3w led array on my iPad 3 LCD (over 30 seconds). My lenses might not be collimating well or something, not quite sure. Has anyone else gotten decent cure times on this screen?

Anyways I think I want to switch it up and try the fresnel lens route. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that we should stick with 8" or smaller but the DIY projector crowd has been doing this with much larger LCDs without issue, wondering what the reasoning might be.

Here's a picture of what I'm gonna try next. I think it will work, only worry is I might see the grooves of the fresnel lens in the cured resin. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

Barill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Barill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi Dpizzle

Happy to get news from your project.
What will be the distance between your lens and the LCD ?

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Probably just a few mm. I think it depends if the distance helps minimize groove visibility. Either way it won't be much distance at all.

Barill

Postby Barill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:27 pm

you think you will cover all the LCD with just one lens and few mm ?

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Yup, that's how a fresnel lens works. DIY lcd projectors have the lens sitting on the lcd.
Maybe you wanted to know the distance between LED and lens, that's 90mm.

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Forget the fresnel lens.. I spent a year trying to get it to work. It will always be brighter in the center and you are loosing too much light due to the way the optics work.

LED array covering the entire LCD is the way to go. use the small 1w-3w LED's and the collimating lenses that go with them. Testing has to be done to determine the best lens angle for your setup. Also an LED array is much more compact vs fresnel.

You will need to pack the leds as close together as your lenses will allow to get a uniform light plane.

Can you post a picture of your LED array? Maybe I can give you some pointers.

zerospace

Postby zerospace » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:36 pm

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Greetings Dear Phife,

Thanks for your post; How are you controlling the switching of the "ON" and "OFF" power to LED . Thanks for your time.

Sincere Regards

Sid Rana

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 pm