LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby dpizzle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for the info Phife. I'll be testing curing on my ipad 3 screen early next week with my array made up of 3w leds. I'll let you know my findings. After removing all the loose layers the underside look reflective as well like your 10" screen. Doesn't seem to affect light getting through, but I have no frame of reference. I'd be a bit intimidated removing that or anti glare filters (are we sure there are any?). Let us know if you have luck.

From your previous post sounds like Sylgard is out of the question because we have to minimize distance between resin and screen right? I should plan on using FEP with tilt?

Oneminde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Oneminde » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm glad you guy's are developing this. I am too involved in other projects.

Barill

Postby Barill » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Does one of you have a picture of LCD printed object, even at the prototype stage, to show us?

Phife

Postby Phife » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:04 pm

I have a bunch of failed prints,

The best I have is the frog, but only about 10mm before the print detached. So basically its front legs and some if the back legs and body. I havent posted anything because I wanted to show completed prints, but if youre interested I can show you a ton of ugly, failed prints and the little frog legs..

woale

Postby woale » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi guys,

i've been tinkering with the same setup since a while now, with various LCD panels (all color) and different resins... and limited success. Only to find this forum now :?

I gave up on UV LEDs and went for direct sunlight and tanning lamps. Little did I knew the polarizers block below 400nm (a spectrometer would've been handy with my 365nm LEDs). The best flat surface i've been able to print was by drawing yellow masks so light spread evenly between subpixels.

For me the hardest parts when printing (without interruptions):
1/ to get clean resolution on the z axis when printing downwards, looks like the resin (old makerjuice) takes too long to "flow" over the object (pic 1),
2/ get the resin within 1mm of the LCD to avoid scattering on x and z axis (pic 2) without touching the screen...

Could both be solved by adding another transparent fluid between resin and LCD ?
What type of poison/resin do you guys use to print so fast with near UV light ?

IMG_20140915_182748.jpg
pic 1: bad z (cured under powered off 133 ppi LCD)

IMG_20140915_182839.jpg
pic 2: bad x-y (cured under powered off 133 ppi LCD)
Last edited by woale on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barill

Postby Barill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Happy to see a picture of a LCD 3D printed object, good job Woale !

What were you printing ?
What is the resolution, size of the screen ?

woale

Postby woale » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Last edited by woale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 am

Hello woale welcome to the world of LCD printers, lol.

How are you collimating and evenly spreading the light from your lamps? I spent months trying to get a lamp, reflector and lens system working right, it just wasn't even enough and the wrong wavelength of light to cure resin correctly. 405nm LED seem to be the best so far, above the 400nm block and still enough near-uv power to cure resin quickly.

I thought about trying to add another fluid between the LCD and resin, but i havent got around to trying.. it might work I know that adding a fluid allow you to extend the in focus range of the LCD as long as the fluid is touching the LCD.

As for resins, I have tried a few. Most work fine, I like the Spot-A LV resin, its almost like water. It comes perfectly clear and very low viscosity. I add a bit of black dye. Ive also used the FTD resing with much success.

woale

Postby woale » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 am

Attachments
mask.png
Sample mask
mask.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 15005 times

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, youre gonna want to do away with that light setup, you'll never be able to collimate it. And Im not sure why youre using a yellow mask, its not going to help you cure resin faster.

Oh and if you need some advice on removing antiglare layers, Ive become very good at it. Feel free to ask.