External lamp unit

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

External lamp unit

Postby johnrpm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:21 pm

I have built a lamp unit with 2 20watt uv led's, a condensing lens, focus lens, housed in a diecast box, all salvaged parts, apart from the led's, I ordered some 6mm sheathed optic cable, "pmma" which will conduct the light from the external box into the lght gate, I still need to make the adaptors for the light cable, The plan is to have creationworkshop switch the led's on with gcode.

pic's to follow.
Random Precision

johnrpm

Re: External lamp unit

Postby johnrpm » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 pm

I bought the light cable for about £7/mtr, its 6mm with a sheath diameter of about 10mm, the ends need polishing with wet and dry, then finish with brass polish, the poor phone image shows the sheath cut to allow insertion into the adaptor.

lightcable.jpg
Light cable

The box has one led initialy, but has holes ready for another if needed, the condensing lens was salvaged from an old projector, the second condesing lens came from a 1 watt led torch.

lightbox.jpg
lightbox

The adaptor is just a disk with 6mm hole for light cable, and clearance screw holes to allow for positioning for best output.

adaptor.jpg
simple adaptor

sorry for the poor image quality.
Random Precision

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 pm

I had considered this option as well using a dental illuminator.
Do you think the optical fiber will transmit UV properly?
Attachments
dental.JPG
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 am

You could test it on a spot of resin spread onto glass, Dentists use uv resin for fillings, I have some
its thick paste, is it white light or uv, have you looked inside at the light source?,
if its suitable, you could make an adaptor to the light gate, so you can revert back to the bulb if
needed.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could switch between light sources, I suppose we could have led's on a disk
and dial in the one needed.
Random Precision

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:37 am

Here is another image , up to my usual low standard, the gate adaptor, where the light cable enters the light gate.

gate-adaptor.jpg
light gate adaptor
Random Precision

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:02 pm

How'd this work out? able to cure?