15,6 LCD idea

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Meshuge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

15,6 LCD idea

Postby Meshuge » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:18 am

Hi all,

First of all - good day to you all. :)

I've been researching LCD based printers for a while now and I also happen to possess Formlabs 2 printer as well as LC 10". But all this time I've been wondering - could we possibly go bigger? What are the limiting factors? Down the rabbit hole I went.

- Screen -
Most people are working using (un)modified versions of the iPad 9,7" display. I've been following Kvirre's build and I'm impressed with what he managed to achieve. But my goal is to enlarge the build volume - for low series parts production for instance, while maintaining ~100micron pixel pitch. This can be achieved by utilising a 3200x1800 LCD display - and there's at least one WLED 3200x1800 15'6" 400cd/m^2. I do not intend to change the backlight - I don't really care if the layer time is above 30sec - I want the build volume with reasonable print quality. Hopefully, the display will last a little longer as well.

- LCD Display 4K Controller -
There are a few options, but most noteably - this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DisplayPort-to- ... 2217805617
It should be able to support up to 4K resolution and takes DisplayPort input. This will need to be converted to RPI-friendly HDMI.

- The Big Question -
nanoDLP on Raspberry Pi+RAMPS is considered. And here I'm stumped - nanoDLP homepage clearly states that it supports 4K resolution - but is Raspberry capable of 4K output? What am I missing here? Any directions would be most welcome.

- Mechanical -

Well, I have a basic outline for the mechanics and I'd be willing to share drawings but this obviously depends heavily on the feasibility of the whole concept. Some aspects are obvious though - one-sided Z-stage is out of the question, also very sturdy guides are a must to maintain repeatability of the movement.

I've built a few FDM machines before but that is a different beast alltogether. So I'm mostly asking for guidance - what do you guys and gals reckon?

jarekk

Re: 15,6 LCD idea

Postby jarekk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 am

LC has pro version - with 3840×2160 px and 450 x 280 x 300 mm ( 17.7 x 11 x 11.8 in ) build size.
It prints, but not in sale yet ( you can see results in their facebook group).

But as I heard it is a custom panel ( 21" ? )

The strange thing is its layer curing speed - like 3..5 times slower then smaller printers.
So there is price for larger size.

See http://photocentric3d.com/liquidcrystal ... c19fa1e772

boelle

Re: 15,6 LCD idea

Postby boelle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

@Meshuge

did you go any further with this? its more or less what i have in mind