Sony MP-CL1 Laser Pico Projector

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FricoRico
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sony MP-CL1 Laser Pico Projector

Postby FricoRico » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am

So I've been silently browsing through these forums in the past week, as I'm planning on building my first SLA/DLP printer for home usage. I see some interesting builds around here on the forums and on the internet. Preferably I would like to print from a bottom-up position as it will eliminate surface tension problems with the resins, allowing for a more consistent printing. Also I would like to print with UV based resins, since they are most affordable.

As I'm planning on making the machine as compact as I possibly can (which is quite hard with a normal beamer) I prefer if I can get a good quality (high resolution) Pico Projector to do the job for me. I saw by Rich showing how he modified his LCoS LED pico projector to send out UV light instead of normal light. I might go that route in trying to find a LCoS pico projector, but usually they are SD projectors.

I saw (bit more expensive) Sony MP-CLI1 Laser Pico Projector, but I'm uncertain if the laser can be adjusted so that it emits UV light (current wavelength is 445 nm to 639 nm). I wonder of any of you have experience with adjusting any laser pico projectors, maybe even know how the insight of this Sony MP-CL1 looks. With a resolution of 1920x720 and a 40" projection size at 1.15m distance, it seems like a good option to print medium sized objects.

Any thoughts and comments are more than welcome! Hopefully I will be able to post in the 'Show your SLA' section soon :lol:

FricoRico

Re: Sony MP-CL1 Laser Pico Projector

Postby FricoRico » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 am

I guess no-one reported back with a good reason. I gave up on using a Laser Pico Projector, I did some digging on how lasers work (not sure if they work exactly the same in a laser projector) but it seems laser wavelengths can not be manually adjusted and are at a fixed wavelength due to it's photodiode. I highly doubt that the laser used in the Sony MP-CL1 is easily swapped for a UV one. Furthermore, it seems that the photodiodes are incredibly small, so it would seem nearly impossible with consumer equipment. To make matters worse, I believe that to change the color of the (blue) laser light into other colours, filtering out the UV light.

If anyone has any more ideas, please feel free to report them in here. For now I'm hoping to fix a AAXA ST200 (short throw), they seem like a decent option. The only problem is that the low wavelength UV light might harm the LCoS chip.

UPDATE: Also finally found a website that of the Sony MP-CL1