Lens replacement

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lens replacement

Postby johnrpm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm

In order to minimise throw to keep my sla as small as posible, and reduce the number of elements in the lens, I made a holder from a salvaged two element unit, it has adjustment for focus.

lens.jpg
Random Precision

golemid

Re: Lens replacement

Postby golemid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:24 am

Hi John,
Can you provide some details of how did you manage to reduce the number of elements in the lens?
Kind regards,
Vlad

golemid

Postby golemid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 am

Dear John,
I disassemble a projection lens totally, tried various combinations, none of them minimize throw.
Please see the attached image, it is a schematic section view of my projection lens.
Hope you have some advice,
Kind regards,
Vlad
Attachments
projection lens section view.jpg

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:50 pm

sorry for the late reply, been installing solydx linux on my systems, my head has been elsewhere,

I have a few boxes of lenses I have collected over time, and kept trying them all untill I got the result I was
looking for, not very helpfull for you I am afraid, I have seen lens calculator online which may indicate what you need.

sorry not to be of more help.
P.S. from memory one lens was concave and the other convex, about 30mm diameter and approx 40mm apart.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm

In order to minimize the throw distance, you simply need to move the projection lens a few mm further outward from the frame. I FDM printed a small 3mm spacer for mine.

golemid

Postby golemid » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 am

Hey John and Steve,
First of thank you for your reply, any advice is better then none. I found out that placing a flashlight in front of lenses and tried various combinations may teach about the way projection lens are working. Even simple flashlight from smartphone will do the trick. It's my first time addressing Steve, so I would like to thank him personally for the great job on his great contribution to our community, that partially at least owes its existence to him.
As to Steve's advice, moving the projection lens a few mm further outward from the frame created a blurring corners at offset projection lens. Lenses that had used in nontelecentric architectures projectors, like mp2800 projector.
Best regards guys,
You Are Great Aspiration!
Vlad

Crusader68

Postby Crusader68 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:21 am

Instead of modifying the lens assembly(moving forward) I saw a suggestion of using close-up filter, not sure why they are called filters. I am working on my own build ATM and I'd prefer to keep the projector stock so that I can still use it as an actual projector, is this a viable option?
"... mais épargnez le visage"

dangre

Postby dangre » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Crusader68

Postby Crusader68 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Although I haven't tried the close up filter/lens route, from what I've read so far they create problems around the edges making them blury.
For those interested Texas Instruments has a pdf on the subject of DLP optics that has all the formula for figuring to focal distances and correcting those.
"... mais épargnez le visage"