LCD Screen SLA

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AndersonTa

LCD Screen SLA

Postby AndersonTa » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1t3tHsx9k

So a couple questions here,

1) If it's just an LCD screen, why is the base of his machine so large?
2) Did he replace the light source with a UV one?
3) Doesn't this seem way easier and cheaper? I'm sure we all have plenty of monitors laying around waiting to be repurposed.
4) One could use visible light curable resin and not mod a thing on an LCD, right?

Thoughts?
@AndersonHTa

AndersonTa

Re: LCD Screen SLA

Postby AndersonTa » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Another display of interest might be digital picture frames!
@AndersonHTa

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacManFan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:51 am

some time ago I experimented with LCD screens, a crude trial showed that a reduction
of 80% uv actually passed through the screen, I tried old monitor screens and a digital
photo frame, but the screens were old and due for scrap, with modern resin and screens
this may well have changed, I think the large box is for lamp housing and projection.

I wish my workshop had so much room, I envy that chair, I only have room for a stool.

1) If it's just an LCD screen, why is the base of his machine so large?
projection box I think.
2) Did he replace the light source with a UV one?
maybe no need with modern resin
3) Doesn't this seem way easier and cheaper? I'm sure we all have plenty of monitors laying around waiting to be repurposed.
resolution may suffer.
4) One could use visible light curable resin and not mod a thing on an LCD, right?
yes.
Random Precision

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Yeah, we would suffer resolution in comparison to a projector, but it's not that bad. I'm focusing on the cheap-o picture frame idea. The ones I picked up are between $20-60 and have resolutions of 800 by 480 or 800 by 600. Given some of the dimensions listed, ball park X/Y resolution is around 0.2 mm...thats not too bad is it? And for an entire setup as much as a projector it can be forgiven (at least in my book :P).

As for the UV filters, def didn't think of that. We shall see how the disassembly goes and I'll keep you folks posted. Might try and get my hands on visible light curable resin as well.

PacManFan, do you have anymore details on the printers coming down the pipe?
@AndersonHTa

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:57 pm

one advantage would be the size, the resolution would still be better than a reprap,
and the resin cost would probably be about the same as filament, as resin
gets better and more types become available, I think the sla approach will become
more popular.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 pm

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 am

Steve, if you tell me and I tell no one else...no one else needs to know :P.
@AndersonHTa