Projector or LED array?

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
napalm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Projector or LED array?

Postby napalm » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Hello everybody, I'm an absolute noob here so bear with me if I say some silly stuff.

I've become increasingly interested in SLA printing after Carbon3D revealed CLIP, so I'm planning to make my own (for hobby use) SLA printer using the tons of information this forum has.
I'm having some doubts though regarding projectors and LCD/LED arrays to project the UV (or near-UV) light onto the resin, using the bottom-up approach.
So, here we go:

1) Are normal projectors enough to cure the resin in a reasonable time (e.g. 2-3 seconds), and if so what wave length do they have to operate at? I've read that projectors tend to get damaged when operating below ~400nm

2) Regarding LED arrays with LCD screens, is it worth a shot (also considering this http://www.lcd3dprinter.com/ very interesting website) or are they just too unreliable to get good results?

3) Again on the matter of LED arrays, what about using a Plasma display instead of an LCD one? Would that be able to block/let the UV light go through? I know nothing about optics, so I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this.

Sorry if this has already been answered before, I just thought I'd ask before potentially wasting hundreds of dollars/euros on bad projectors and the like.

Phife

Re: Projector or LED array?

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 pm

1) Normal projectors work, some without modification. They dont operate at a set wavelength, they use a light bulb which provides a full spectrum of light, the resin only cares about the UV light and near UV light.

2) LED arrays and LCD are viable and do work, they are just not refined yet. Not many people working on them so still some hurdles to work out. Soon though. Nothing unreliable about them, just need to perfect the release method. Still though, Not simple to build as you'll be doing a lot of the research on your own until someone releases info on a working model.

3) Plasma tv dont work like LCD tv's they dont use a backlight or LED arrays, they generate their own light from each pixel. They are not nearly bright enough and they dont light light through.

If you want to build a printer now, go with a proven DLP projector setup. Little RP is popular here.

napalm

Re: Projector or LED array?

Postby napalm » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks a lot Phife, I'll definitely use a DLP then :D