Monochrome LCD SLA 3D Printer.

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
hegykc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Monochrome LCD SLA 3D Printer.

Postby hegykc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Grayscale lcd info will get buried in here if we start from the basics and go over everything. Too much for one thread.

You might want to leave this one for "how to get a grayscale panel working on a pc" stuff...

Oneminde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Oneminde » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Oneminde

Postby Oneminde » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:51 am

I know one thing- When I have the panel, DIB, and the right UV leds etc, it will need to be dry tested. Build a box that is meant to endurance test it. See how the LCD reacts to UV exposure for a prolonged period. Maybe it will be fine or maybe I will discover something we don't know about. Fun stuff.

Cation

Postby Cation » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:05 pm

This post covers much of the info on using monochrome LCD's with resins that cure from violet through green.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84&start=210#p9616

UV LED's are higher cost and less efficient than blue 460nm LED's.

The standard filters and polarizers use in monochrome LCD's are not very efficient under 420nm. They were design for wavelengths over 420nm.

Unmodified monochrome LCD panels and 3-LCD projectors are easily cured with resins that cure with blue light.

Resins that cure with blue light are the same or lower cost than resins that only cure at under 420nm.

Why all the work to modify monochrome panels or projectors to work with UV resins when blue curing resins are already available?

I work with Bucktown Polymers and have been using blue curing resins to make lithography equipment using visible light for several years.
http://bucktownpolymers.com/zve200-v470.html is one of hundreds of formulas used for visible light lithography.

One of the problems with CLIP is that the vat material that they use is very expensive. PMP is far less expensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymethylpentene and some versions have far less adhesion than ptfe http://www.mitsuichemicals.com/tpx_cha.htm

A Chinese company has also demonstrated a top projection system http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150331- ... inter.html that does not require the vat film.

nc42
Site Admin

Postby nc42 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Do you have any pictures of parts made with the buck town polymers resin?

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Cation,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for spamming the bucktown polymer link on every LCD thread you could find.

Its all well and good to say that your resin is better, but instead of saying that why not prove it? I'd love to see your 3LCD projector based printer and some of its prints!

Ive tried the bucktown polymer in the past, It was horrible stuff. Had a really strong smell and I didnt find it any better in my Monochrome LCD tests. Is this some new formula? How is the smell? It looks like you work for them, so why not start a proper thread so you can tell everyone all the details on your resin that can cure from green light! If this is true this would be a breakthrough and should be properly presented!

Cation

Postby Cation » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Photopolymers sensitive into the visible spectrum are nothing new. A quick Google search for Radcure resins with visible light will return many results for photopolymers used for the past several years..

I'm not sure which resins you had tried in the past. It sounds like it might have been polyester resins sensitive to <420nm with styrene as a functional solvent that might have an objectionable odor. Polyester resins are very popular for high volume SLA applications where low cost and hardness are the main requirements. Odor is as important as taste or lion repellency to these users.

Bucktown Polymers make hundreds of Radcure formulas for lithography, inkjet, coatings, adhesives, etc. Just about any may be made to cure from ebeam, UV through the IR range.

martsink

Postby martsink » Thu May 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and I really appreciate all the information that's shared around here. I will try to absorb as much as possible and hopefully make some contributions of my own in the near future.

I was hoping that maybe someone could suggest a small, low-resolution monochrome LCD for experimentation purposes. I would like to get some results down first before splurging on a much more expensive setup. I was thinking maybe something similar to what's used in the iBox Nano?

Thanks,

Vlad

MindFuLL

Postby MindFuLL » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Hello guys. This is my first post. I have been sitting on the sidelines soaking up all the info here but I just got my hands on a barco 3620 and I'm ready to dive in (and hopefully contribute).

Is Phfie still making LED arrays for experimenting?

marcovanschagen

Postby marcovanschagen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi, recently I noticed a new style led assy on ebay and ordered a few. Have not tested yet. It is basically an array of leds on an aluminium heat sink, with double sided tape on the back. Cheap, $3.70 each.
I wonder what you think about these...

Object: Car Auto Daytime Running Light White COB LED 12V DRL Driving Fog Lamp 17CM 1PCS

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 00&alt=web