Retina iPad Display

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
AndersonTa

Re: Retina iPad Display

Postby AndersonTa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:16 am

Hopefully someday this comment will come back and bite me in the ass, but until then...

Finally got around to doing some readings wit ha UV sensor to see what's going on with power transmission once it passes thru the retina screen. I'm reading about 18mW/cm^2 prior to the display...

And then a measly 0.15mW/cm^2 after. So ultimately, I don't think this is going to work out as I had thought. Kinda foolish running with this and not just doing this simple test at first. Feel free to keep at it, but I don't think we are going to get the results we want with near UV, maybe with a new resin with a different PI.

I'll be switching over and working on monochrome LCDs with Phife.
@AndersonHTa

nc42
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nc42 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:17 pm

I was just looking at the Bucktown Polymers listings and noticed they offer a resin that cures at 470nm . I wonder if this wouldn't work with the retina ipad display. It might require stronger LED's but in the higher blue spectrum which might transfer through the ipad screen better.

SIDRANA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SIDRANA » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Hello NC42;

The iPad screens are not good enough for the Bucktown Polymers. US Dollars two hundred for one liter; plus the fifteen dollars shipping charge to los angeles.

Warm Regards

Sid
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 7.48.18 PM.png

nc42
Site Admin

Postby nc42 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:21 am

Interesting to see that someone actually has some of the 470 resin. When you say the screens aren't good enough is that with the standard backlight or with LEDs through a stripped display?

Thanks,
Nate

anthony.julu

Postby anthony.julu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 pm

Sid, could you elaborate more about your experience with this resin on your retina lcd? what backlight config did you use (led wavelength, collimating lens, led array wattage, etc)?

A few people, me included surely would like ro know

anthony.julu

Postby anthony.julu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:06 am

Anderson, before you gave up on ipad retina, you posted your result. you said 170 microns/layer @8 seconds. Could you reconfirm that this was the result you achieved?
Also, how many layers did you manage when printing it (photo of which you posted)?
You said your print failed because it detached from the build platform, do you think that you could have prevented this if you had cured longer on your first layer?

I'm still hoping there's a future for color lcd in 3d printing world

Lagom

Postby Lagom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Anderson, I would appreciate a confirmation as well!

We're currently getting about 35 seconds @ 80 microns using Phife's LED array. The lenses we are using might be the issue, we also suspect that our distance between the LED lenses and the LCD might be too short. You can see what I'm talking about here

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:16 pm

That is not one of my arrays, I do not make arrays with those lenses for obvious reasons! You must have bought my PCB and made your own array because I would never sell an array with those horrible lenses.

I can tell you for certain that those lenses are your issue. 5 degree (which it looks like youre using) have a dark spot in the center.

Please tell me who you are so I can help you get the right lenses for your array, I suspect you are one of the students at the UofO correct? PM or email me and I can help you get your array working right.

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello Anthony

I have gone through nine iPad screens, stripping down in various combination. and few other ones. Light source, UV arc lamps, UV pulsed source, UV 395/400nm 100 Watts COB Chip with Optical Condensers. LED Collimating array 375nm 120Watts. I have couple BARCO MFGD 3420 medical monochrome monitors, I started to strip one and had put it on hold. As I am waiting on friend of mine to come over to my place, so we can strip it down together.

Based on what is accessible and can be easily modified is the DLP projector conversion to UV makes more sense.

Warm Regards

Sid
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 2.07.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 2.08.25 PM.png

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:31 pm