Retina iPad Display

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
AndersonTa

Re: Retina iPad Display

Postby AndersonTa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:31 pm

@AndersonHTa

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 pm

PomeroyB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:20 am

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 am

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Came across a snafu that I hadn't thought about.

So I had bought a HDMI to Displayport cable in hopes of using it with the screen and my computer, but sadly that won't suffice. Most converters also won't support the maximum resolution, they peak at 1920 by 1200.

So unless you've got a Mac or a PC with a DisplayPort, be advised.

Though this maybe of use, I think I will try. *USB 3.0 required*

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Disp ... B008CXFM64
@AndersonHTa

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Anderson! lol, I thought I told you!

Yeah, sadly the Ipad LCD cannot run on HDMI in any form whatsoever at this point. Even the active converters that are quite $$ are only capable of 1920x1200 and not the 2048x1536 resolution. No USB, or HDMI to Displayport converter will work, dont even bother. Unless someone makes a new one that can support higher res. Im sure one day the will.

My suggestion to everyone building one of these printers is to get an ITX board that has a displayport built in and build a mini pc into your printer. Thats what I am doing, it will be a full stand alone machine. Most ITX boards have up to 4 ports for video so while the print screen is on the displayport you can have another external or secondary LCD for running the PC at the same time.

If you have a Mac I think they have Mini Displayport, so you would need an adapter. I think there are some new video cards that also have displayports on them. I actually really like it, its amazing how small the board is to run the 9.6" LCD, compared to the video board I have for the 20" LCD, its tiny!

Or the 10.2" LCD panel, B101UAN01 or 02 are nice panels, They are 1920x1200 and you can get one with a video board that does HDMI, DVI, VGA. The pixels are a little larger, I believe 0.12mm vs 0.096mm, but not bad and doesnt need Displayport.

benjismarket

Postby benjismarket » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks for the information everyone.

So last thing. I have yet to try the ipad LCD screen. Been mostly working with crappy old monitors for testing. The one thing I can't seem to get working is the curing of the ink. I have tried 10W LED lights under an LCD screen and barley get any reaction. Is that normal, or could it be an issue with the LCDs I am using? I see most have had success with the IPAD screen, SO i bought one, and am also looking at using Phifes Array... Just bummed out that I can't get a solid layer with any LEDS and LCD combos that I have..

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:21 am

benjismarket,

I think we'll need some more info to see where your problem might be.
What kind of lenses are you using? How far way is the led? What nm led's are you using? What are you using to drive the leds? How long was your cure time if at all?

This thread is specifically for ipad screen, so consider maybe opening a new topic with a full detail of your current setup and we can try to comment on it.

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:27 pm

@AndersonHTa