Ensuring Squareness of Projection

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AndersonTa

Ensuring Squareness of Projection

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 pm

How are folks ensuring that their projection is square? That is to say that the image isn't skewed in any way. The basic calibration grids don't really capture this or give you a direction in which to correct.

Any tips would be great.
@AndersonHTa

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ensuring Squareness of Projection

Postby PacManFan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm

I used a small ruler on the surface of my vat. I projected a calibration grid, then measured the total length of each side of the outlines. I remember having to adjust my mirror slightly until it was square. I didn't want to use the projector keystoning feature, so I moved it all manually

258cj7

Postby 258cj7 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:59 pm

I drew a rectangle the size that I wanted the projection to be (3"x4") on a piece of paper. I placed the paper on the vat floor and adjusted the alignment of the projector and zoom to match the rectangle.

HTL

Postby HTL » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

I would measure the diagonals with a caliper, if they are equal the projection is square/rectangular. I've found that using Creation Workshops "show blank" is good for both squaring and sizing (for example, the image width and height for a 1024 X 768 projector is 102.4mm X 76.8mm). I cut a piece of vellum paper and set it on the vat floor to make measurements.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am

I print a grid on a regular piece of paper with the laser printer. I make the grid the size of my build area which is 6" x 4.5".

Lay it right on top of the PDMS in the vat. Since I use Mach3 for control, I use the Mach3 interface to adjust the focus of the projector (lots of small text helps get a good focus)

Jon