Using a corexy driven laser.

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
seasicksinbad

Using a corexy driven laser.

Postby seasicksinbad » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I've been thinking about creating a corexy driven laser for resin exposure instead of using a galvo.
I know speed would be greatly decreased, would resolution suffer also?
This is an interesting link about the subject with schematics: http://corexy.com/corexyr1/index.html
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Using a corexy driven laser.

Postby Finhead » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Should be able to easily modify a mUVe1 printer to us coreXY. But you have to remember your still going to be limited in X,Y resolution by he size of the beam. Researching into this before I built a DLP printer resolution in the X,Y is between 250-300 microns if that is all you need.

Clinton

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Muve3D will be doing just this in the near future. At least that's what was said from my conversation with Dean of Muve3D at MRRF (Midwest RepRap Fest).

As Finhead said, major limiting factor would be laser spot size...though I don't know if that's with the iris at its smallest position.
@AndersonHTa

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 pm

mUVe3D-Dean

Postby mUVe3D-Dean » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:04 am

Just wanted to chime in a bit on the CoreXY plans at mUVe 3D.

I did build a CoreXY system and tested it out, right around the time of the MRRF. I really had high hopes for the CoreXY as well, it seemed like a really elegant design. Unfortunately once the system was built the tests didn't really go all that great.

-The system was really slow, acceleration wasn't there. Forget about 300mm/s, it just wasn't going to happen. At least with it's current state in firmware.
-While the part count does go down, the complexity went up.
-It seemed the CoreXY Marlin had some bugs at the time, hopefully they are worked out. But the printer would seem to lose its place/drift, and it wasn't motor driver issues. Though it could have been a side effect of us trying to operate at high speed.
-There's so much belt that it's going to be hard to keep from having to tighten your belts every couple months. The added length gives them much more room to stretch out.

On the upside it was really smooth and is well suited for FFF printing, and it also reclaimed some of the X/Y axis travel.

If anyone has questions about that project please just let us know.

Dean Piper
mUVe 3D, Founder

@A2

Postby @A2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:11 pm

There are a few threads addressing this issue, it might be solved, or close to being solved.

Atfer Hbot, go to CoreXY.
That describe not round circle with Corexy system.
I have uploaded EXACTLY my same firmware (repetier), just change that line: #define DRIVE_SYSTEM 0 (from 1 before)

and M206 T3 P3/P7 X458 to divide by square(2). And now circle are round, space between infill line have all equal distance. The only downside for the moment, the build area is smaller and the printer is 45° rotated.
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,297 ... msg-364208

SparkCube
http://forums.reprap.org/search.php?336 ... =sparkcube

Repetier 0.91 rev 7, h bot uneven stepping
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,356502

CoreXy Problem
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?246,3 ... msg-358129