4K lcd question

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jasonpgr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

4K lcd question

Postby Jasonpgr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm

I’m looking to build a high resolution sla printer but I’m totally new to this type of build. I’ve built several FDM printers over the last couple years, so I’m familiar with the electronics and materials at least.

I’m particularly looking to produce high detail 3d models and miniature figurines, so maximizing detail is important, but I definitely want to go as big as possible at the same time. My original plan was to use a laser galvo, but it seems like going big will distort the laser and there’s not a ton of support for addressing that problem. After hunting around this sight, I’m a huge fan of the LCD with the UV backlight set up, so I’d love to make one of these. The smallest 4K monitor I can find for a decent price is a 23” screen. Would this be too big of a panel to use even with 4K resolution? Not sure what the DPI is, but this seems like pushing it. I was hoping for a 17” but didn’t see anything on Newegg.

Do I need any particular kind of LCD if I want to ad my own LED UV backlight?

It seems like the retina iPad version is the most well documented build, so I might start off with that if the big 4K display isn’t a high enough DPI. Are there any links or threads you’d recommend checking out a step by step build, preferably with a BOM or something I can follow along with?

Jasonpgr

Re: 4K lcd question

Postby Jasonpgr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm

I actually just did some more searches and found a dell or Alienware laptop LCDs that are 17” with 4K resolution. Would these work? Any idea what kind of lcd controller I would need to hook these up to a DisplayPort or HDMI Source or some kind?

James

Postby James » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Info is scarce because LCD based SLA printers have only recently started gaining popularity due to the increased availability of resins that can polymerize at the required 405 nm. Required because lower wavelengths do not transmit through commonly available LCD panels.

Careful buying LCD panels because some smaller panels have the backlight bonded to the LCD array and consequently is not removable. I'd be careful of the larger screens if you are thinking of building a bottom-up configuration because you'll need to be pulling the polymerized resin from whatever nonstick resin tray material you are going to use. Nonstick is not 100% nonstick when it comes to these resins and so quite a bit of force is necessary to separate layers. The larger you surface area that more difficult it'll be to implement mechanically because of this issue. Of course, you could go top down, but that hasn't been tried yet with LCD as far as know so you'd be stepping into unknown territory there.

A more practical build is to use an LCD that is already known to work and staying under 10 inches or so screen size.

As far as guides I don't know of any. Creation Workshop is no longer developed so this forum has mainly turned into a ghost town but you can take a look at this search to see if you can find anything useful. search.php?keywords=lcd*

One thing that is happening is LCD based machines are getting so cheap that you can damn near buy a new machine for what you can buy the components for to build your own. Like I just bought an Anycubic Photon for $540 on Amazon and it was on sale a few days ago at Aliexpress for $470 shipped. I would say in another year one will be able to find LCD based machines for under $200.

I only come to this forum once or twice a month so if you don't see me replying, if you reply, it's because I forgot and also because hackers disabled my email notifications years ago.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

bwgeez02

Postby bwgeez02 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am

I'm also interested in this topic. I've been looking at 17.3" screens with driver boards on Aliexpress. They are reasonably priced. When you say the backlight is bonded is that the same as "embedded". I see screens that describe the lamp type as "WLED, 15k hours, Embedded (LED Driver)". Thanks!

Here's a link to one of the screens.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17-3-In ... e169&tpp=1

James

Postby James » Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 pm

All be darned! I posted a long reply to you and now it is gone. Did you see my reply back when I posted it?
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)