LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
anthony.julu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby anthony.julu » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:14 am

Pleasantly surprised!
Suddenly there is so much meaningful improvements being posted

I don't see the use for 9.6" array for my personal use as I only intend of using 3d printer for jewelry making. Hence I'd like to ask, what are the possibilities of using Iphone 5 or 6 LCD? Can either of them also be driven by controllers which some of you guys have been using (i.e. from Abuse Mark or Adafruit, etc)?

Phife, have you decided on which way to go with you build? Top down, or Bottom up? I have a feeling that you'll go top down, even for your smaller Ipad array. As Gmoneyphx have stated, one can go top down and print big so long as he keeps Z at 100 micron. I guess, with a print area of 9.6" and larger, 100 microns is just about right, right?

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 am

@AndersonHTa

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:45 am

@AndersonHTa

anthony.julu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby anthony.julu » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Ha! That's a sweet find!!

Working with Iphone 4 LCD can now be done, it seems now. Then what about Iphone 6 plus? So long as pixel count is concerned, this board supports an Iphone 6 plus' screen. Am I right to think so?

I just hope that people trying to use this board can somehow place it behind the LCD in order to build an aesthetically acceptable setup. With the way it's currently connected to the LCD, I think it will be hard to design a truly compact printer build, which is probably one area people are looking for with the utilization of LCD in a 3D printer (the likes of Ibox Nano). By the way, the Ibox's kickstarter campaign has gone past midpoint with their pledge target, will everyone in the forum be happy for them if the funding is successful? :D

CidVilas

Postby CidVilas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:58 am

@Phife: I'd like a smaller one made. My plan was to build a high resolution alternative to my Reprap machines for small parts. Any chance you can redesign it to be small and 12V? Or even let us know sources for parts so we can build ourselves?
Thanks for sharing. Really excited to see more developments.

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 am

CidVilas

Postby CidVilas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Not gonna happen at this point.. Like I said many times Ive got over two years research and a lot of money invested in this project. I dont really want to give away all the details for free. It was a lot of hard work and I think I should get something for my effort.

That being said, Once I release my machine to the market as a Kit all the parts will be available for purchase and all the specs will be released. I want to keep things open for the community to develop and improve.

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

C'mon folks, you know you want to mess with iPad screens for your SLA build. hp_ and I need 5 more folks to get Phife to make some boards to sell.

Phife has contributed a lot of information to this kind of printer and I think its totally worth it to support his efforts.

Also, those of you trying to go smaller...
1) I don't think we've found a display controller that we can buy to control the smaller iPhone displays or the likes
2) Between the Retina iPad, iPad mini and iPhone displays the costs are all about the same.

Given the links shared here you can get an iPad screen for $28, the display controller for $32 and a beta LED array for $200 (that seems to be more than usable)...pretty good deal if you ask me. (I Really want to get a LED array from Phife if you can't tell :D)

Just need 5 more... :P
@AndersonHTa

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm

REALLY appreciate Phife sharing all that he has. I'd love to help out but I already have most of the components already and it's a little out of my budget unfortunately. I'd take a bare PCB for $75 though... :)

For people that want to go smaller, this might be a good choice. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1666
94 microns. You can find a driver+LCD available on aliexpress for less than $100.